Float bags..

Moosie

Grand poopa
Would you pack all your stuff in them for a drop camp moose hunt ?

Whats your Ideas/thoughts ?

Moosie.....when the weight doesn't matter, take all the precautions you can to keep your gear dry.....especially in Alaska. If you are flying in it would pay to buy new lightweight float bags which may not be as waterproof as rafting or canoeing bags. If you are going in from a waterway, take the most waterproof you can get. Yes....I definitely would.

Oscar, IF you dont want the weight or want to buy alot of bags, Just get one to keep at the drop zone with an extra set of clothes and stuff as emergency use only. If you dont want to buy any, I'll let you use mine. They do come in handy up here. Trash bags work to water proof but they rip way to easy.

I'm guessing the fact I took him 3 dry bags yesterday got his mind to thinking.... I tried to tell him this months ago, but that boy don't listen too well...
mad.gif

I know the Super Cub pilots all like the soft bag idea.

I know what you mean about super cubs and limited storage for bags. On a caribou hunt I had to take the bag off my frame and then use the frame as my seatback. Luckily moosie and Pa moosie will probably be on a beaver, that way young moosie can play the typical non-res and bring everything including the kitchen sink
biggrin.gif

Have you checked out his gear list lately? He better hope he doesn't kill anything, as the plane will already be full of his gear.

I actually kind of like the 70lb limits of the Super Cubs, as it makes you be disciplined, and only take in what you need. The Beaver can get anything off the ground, as long as you can shut the doors, but when you start piling meat on the floor, you quickly run out of room for the Camp Gear.

Salmon, No I havent seen his list, honestly I dont want to
wink.gif
. I just hope that my 1/2 ton truck is big enough to pick him (and his gear) up at the airport
biggrin.gif

Moosie, back to the wetbags. Use them.Whether its the cheap thin ones or the thick ones. they are worth there weight in gold. Fall is our wet season and you will be wet. I dont care what rain gear you use, you will get wet. 70lbs is alot of weight and being smart you can afford to bring them.

When you travel by jet you want everything in 1 large bag. But in the little planes you want many small bags.

Compactor bags a tough (also contractor bags, the large black type are very tough) and with some gray tape, can seal it up. Contractor bags can also be used to submerge your meat (and keep it dry) to keep cool till your ride shows up.

Remember to leave room and weight for that SALT.....

As for dry bags I use them alot. Actually for everthing. I like the see type.

What you need is usually in the bottom.

I just got some from Campmor yesterday. Clear and one of each size.

What are some good sizes too ? I see REI has a bag at Weight 3 lbs. 6 oz.
Dimensions 12.5 x 18.5 x 30 inches
Volume 6940 cubic inches

For $70.

653285.jpg

And they have alot of others at less prices but ALOT less smaller....

Weight 2 lbs. 9 oz.
Dimensions 9 x 17.5 x 25 inches
Volume 3940 cubic inches

$60

653287.jpg

Or for $50

Weight 1 lb. 14 oz.
Dimensions 10 x 14.5 x 20 inches
Volume 2270 cubic inches

653286.jpg

BUT, why would you buy a bag at 1/3 the size for only $20 less ?!?!

Campmor ..... get the see through ones ..... get a small, med, large and a little larger. Or 2 of each.

Break you stuff down into the smaller ones. Those (you show) are to big for a bush plane ride. Pilots like many small bags over a few large ones.

Mine are packed and ready to load. 2 larger one for dinners. Lunches in the next. Breakfasts in the medium. Coffee and drink mixes in the small. Clothing in zip locks and then in a medium dry bag. Another one full of snack packs. Backpack loaded lightly with optics, stove and those types toys like my OutDoorResearch DELUXE BIVI (nothing strapped on the exterior). Sleeping bag seperate in a water proof stuff sac. White gas bottles seperated to go in the floats (some pilots don't like gas inside). Oh yes and plenty of SALT (one 25lb sack per animal) sealed up in compactor bags and grey taped very well.

Mossie you don't need those fancy expensive ones with the shoulder straps. You got a pack frame for that action.

Johnnie

Would you pack all your Bags seperate of pack things in your bags for Shipping. I mean on the Plane TO AK.

Ohhh the things to buy and never enough Money to buy them... MAybe I'll take up that "Rental" thing from the Local guy. I think I know a few guys that have some..
wink.gif

I have two, but will be using one. Your more than welcome to use the other, which will most likely be the extra large duffle size. It isn't see through though.

smile.gif
vis

packing for the Jet ride is as much as possible in 1 bag.

then before departure into the field break it down in many small bags.

they are only $11 to $20 in campmore. item # 11510 under watersports bags page. No bells and whistles.

OK... THANX for the Help... I like the looks of those.... I'm guessing I'll make an Order here later today !!!

Oscar, you ever think of mailing gear up before and mailing gear back home after. It saves a bunch when flying and makes it easier. I have 1 bag that is a big backpack style (from cabellas). I can fit both sleeping bags and all the clothes in it. I also have a small duffle. its great to keep an emergency supply ready. I would put clothes and food in it and keep it strapped to the raft.

Back