Flare/seating

jerm8352

I had a thread earlier about some 9mm reloading I was having issues with with plated bullets. I had some help here and figured out I was not flaring enough. Got it all figured out and loaded up. Moved on to 45acp. I have been reloading 45 for 7 years with only a small issue with lead bullets (I think it was also too little flare). I have not cleaned my dies in a while so I took them apart and cleaned them. I am now having issues getting the loaded cartridges to fit in the case gauge. They slip right in after the sizer die. I have been trying to put in a little more flare for use with lead and plated bullets. However, no matter what I try the cartridges will not fit in the case gauge after seating. As stated before, the brass fits fine after sizing. No matter how little flare I use they will not go into the case gauge. I have been messing with the bullet seater and the expander doesn’t for hours. I can get them to fit in the case gauge if I skip the expander die but I don’t want to do that with lead or plated bullets. I have used multiple different jacketed bullets, different brands of brass, cleaned all the does, completed backed out each die and reset them to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. I have been reloading for 7 years with hardly an issue and now in the last few months I can’t seem to do anything without a screwup. Thanks for the help. I feel like I am a complete newbie again.

Lee Carbide crimp die.
+1
e.png

+2...

Also, ditch the case gauge.
Take the barrel out of your pistol and use that.
Same goes for 9mm.

Thanks for the info. But why did it work before and not now? And also I have heard of the lee factory crimp does creating problems with lead bullets.

Lyman M die to expand the case mouth. Not a fan of the Lee die. You’re just ironing out flaws in your reloading process with one IMO.
Most likely your bullets are seated crooked and the M die will will eliminate that. If you look closely at your loaded rounds you probably have a more pronounced ridge on one side.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back