Caribou Gear

Fixed Broadhead Or Mechanical

Grant Woods did some experiments focused on whitetails ducking the string and showed that u really shouldn't shoot at them over 35 yards. Within that range I think a lot of the heavy arrow, cut on contact, single bevel, fixed blade stuff is moot. Plus if using a 400 grain setup u can probably just have 1 fixed pin sight. I don't understand the hate people have for mechanicals. Reminds me of the "270 isn't enough for elk" conversation.

I can see how a 600 grain arrow with all those features would be important for elk. I do like the "bleeders" they put on the iron will broadheads. Adds a little extra cutting but nbd if they fail.

Ymmv of course.

I tried rage a few seasons back. The first doe opened an awesome hole and left plenty of blood on the ground, though I didn’t get a pass through. Short track job.
The second doe was nearly broadside at 15 yards, just slightly quartering away. The arrow bounced off a rib with no penetration. Two weeks later, my buddy killed the doe with a rifle about 400 yards away. It had a small mark where I hit it, but no internal wound. Back to the slick tricks for me.

I have used Grimm Reapers the past several years. farthest a deer went after being shot was 60 yards. That being said i believe fixed would have done just as good of a job. just based on the shot placement on the deer. I would not use mechanical on anything bigger than a deer IMO.

Can you really practice with them locked closed without worrying about damaging them, accidental opening, etc.?
I haven't had a problem, but I do believe you will dull the blades by shooting into foam. I usually shoot my last year's blades before season and then switch to new blades right before season.

Idk I’ve killed a pile of elk with mechanicals. I broke a bulls shoulder on the off side at 75 yards with the head I use arrow was sticking out 6-8” on the other side. I have also witnessed fixed heads catch a heavy thermal and pick up and plan over elk I’ll keep my mechanicals

Mechanicals are what I’ve been using the last several years since OR made them legal. I had good luck with fixed flying well prior as well, not all fixed heads fly well and very few fly as well as your average mechanical though. I wanted to switch due to poor blood trails or poor to me since I’m color blind. I’ve killed my last 4 bulls with a mechanical and have been very pleased, I’ve used Trypans and Dead Meats and still currently have both. Killed my antelope last fall with a Trypan and bull with a dead meat. If I had to pick I’d either use a Trypan NC or Dead Meat. My current favorite is a dead meat and I have enough to kill several more bulls.

Here’s the dead meat my son killed his buck with last fall. Pass through at 40 yards from a 40lb bow and 420gr arrow. You can’t even tell the head has been shot. Still razor sharp and spins perfect, these aren’t like the crap mechanicals from the early 2000’s.
4B131070-9146-4E88-A784-35FF546DBBB5.jpeg

This is the one after zipping through my 6 point bull this fall.
5FE16ECF-FAB2-4B16-99E3-9BF2D08D3055.jpeg

because my shoulders have had surgery i no longer can pull a bow back because of the pain and i do mis archery with a bow since i was or have been a bowhunter since 10 years old which was 70 years ago . so now the last 4 years i have used a x-bow only because of my health. my favorite broadhead has always been a fixed blade Zwickey eskimo that i hand sharpen myself . i used mechanicals for around 10 -15 years and yes they did work most of the time but mechanicals never left a great blood trail like these old fixed blade Zwickey Eskimo`s did or do , my only problem is now using a x-bow Zwickey Eskimo broadheads don`t fly to accurate with these fast x-bows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back