Yeti GOBOX Collection

Fishing in the Black Hills

TLowell02

Howdy folks. I am staying in Newcastle, Wyoming for the next month or so for work and brought along my fly rod and spinning rod in case I could find any public waters on my day off each week. So far, all I have located is Sand Creek around the north side of the Hills. Any other suggestions for the area? What about waters around the Bighorns? I am assuming those rivers and streams don't heat up for fishing until snow melt substantially subsides in the summer.

Spearfish creek is kind of an anomaly when it comes to rivers. For example it only ever freezes from the bottom up. For that reason people fish it year round from my understanding.

The other benefit is that Spearfish Cannon is about the best scenery you can get in all of South Dakota......

Rapid creek just out of Pactola has some dandy Rainbows. It can be hard to access. I've never fished the Wyoming side. Good luck!

This was a good topic for me because I don't know much about the South Dakota side. If you go to the Wyoming game and fish web-site under the fishing tab and then places to fish there is an atlas deal that shows a couple other places to fish around Newcastle. It gives directions which I would struggle with on here. There are also a couple of walk-in areas near Newcastle on the public access part of the web-site. I am also sending a message to you. Not that I have any great super fish secrets, but it seemed more appropriate.

I can't tell you all how grateful I am for your ideas and help. Exploring the area will be a welcome break.

Sand creek is good trout fishing...if you can get up to cook lake and walk in there are trout...LAK outside of newcastle has bass....if you go over in to sodak hit up horsetheif.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back