Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First year Bowhunting

Foggy Mountain

Thought of something that might be interesting. I’m big on mentoring and helping others. I bet there’s someone reading along about to embark on a first year. Or It could even be a hunter who’s dabbled along yet still unsuccessful a year or so. Let’s help em.
This is a two sided thought, it’d be cool if we could sorta “live vicariously” through someone as they posted about getting ready, what luck they’re having and if successful we could all share in their success.
A great part for the new person, they can ask questions, bounce ideas off the forum thus having a bunch of mentors of sorts from afar. As a youngster, I myself, knew no one turkey hunted but I had this desire to try. Luckily one fellow allowed this same approach. I’d call him for his advice. I’ll always be thankful for that.
Perhaps as a new guy, they get some advice about why what they’re doing or not doing could or couldn’t be a good idea both archery itself as animal specific techniques.
Now if it’s pointed to certain animals say a western mule deer or elk hunter, I surely can’t help with those specifics being from the east. Hopefully someone closer there could answer the question and this be fun and beneficial for all involved. Hopefully some fellows will reply and hopefully others lend advice.
So new folks, don’t be shy, no question is too silly.
If it helps one person I’m game.

Gonna post a pic of what it’s all about. I teach archery and was teaching for the PAL this particular day. A woman walked in with her teen daughter.
The kid wanted to hunt, mom didn’t know how or who to ask. She walked into the archery club offering money for a “guide”.
She wanted to kill a turkey first. I told mom I’d only take her if mom came and I wouldn’t accept any payment. I wasn’t going into the woods w a young girl.
Anyhow, that particular morning was her first ever hunt w me and it was black. Really dark, possibly scary for a kid as I use no lights but she trudged on.
At daylight a bird started hammering nearby, you shoulda seen her face light up! 45 mins into daylight she got her shot. Look at that smile, it’s what it’s all about. We deer hunted, squirrel, waterfowl and upland bird hunted, she was successful at all but it started here.
She’s now a Marine. God bless her

Attachments

• DEE4F7D5-389A-41C0-A24F-30C262AE5E36.jpeg
    DEE4F7D5-389A-41C0-A24F-30C262AE5E36.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • 07EBDBDC-BF34-4B84-ABE2-EB5E1A3146E7.jpeg
    07EBDBDC-BF34-4B84-ABE2-EB5E1A3146E7.jpeg
    781 KB · Views: 29
Dude that’s heavy. Makes my heart happy I wanna tear up. God bless her and thank you to that young lady. Thank you, too. The butterfly effect is a real thing, and you may have perpetuated a life of great moments, a fiery passion for something we all share and she may just lead the fight one day. So awesome. This will be my second year bow hunting.. last year was the best time of my life, hearing elk bugling while you’re trying to sleep.. I spent all winter spring and summer hounding a buddy to enroll in hunters Ed. The online class took him about a week. When he graduated, I told him he had to do another class for BOW ED. Same length class but he finished that one that day… he’s gotten everything on his own and he is almost ready. He’s a hiking fishing SOB and I am proud that he has worked so hard to complete the programs so he could experience hunting this year.. On one occasion, we went scouting and came across a full curl ram with a couple ewes. His face was priceless.. I KNOW the feeling I get from taking my buddy out and finding success will taste sweeter than my own success 1000x over. Super thankful for a thread like this, and fellow hunters that want to help others. Thanks Foggy

My plan is for next year to be my first year archery hunting (for elk in CO and whitetail in TX). I've rifle hunted for several years now, but have never taken anything out west, only deer and pigs in TX. Will see how this year goes. Going 3rd rifle for a cow in north west Colorado. Anyway, as far as archery hunting goes, I need lots of help. There is a really good archery store nearby that I have been in a few times, but I don't even know where to start. I'd like to purchase a bow, but not sure what to start with. I'm the type of person who is willing to spend for quality and something I can grow into. I have shot a bow before, but it's been years and that bow was stolen after I left my garage door open one evening. This place has a range where I could practice all I want. Do you guys have any direction as far as what I should look to spend on a new bow? I'm thinking compound to start, but I like the idea of the longbow too. Anyway, if you have any advice at all as far as what questions to ask at the shop, I could use any that you have.

Thanks !

If you’re looking at compounds go shoot a bunch see what suits you. Don’t look at the extremely fast somewhat touchy ones.
It’s all pretty personal. Idk if you know this but what is your eye dominance? Not your hand, your eye. Start with that. Don’t overbow yourself. Find out if the shop really knows what they’re doing. If not find one that does. Many start out with bows too long.
I wish you were closer I’d help get your form down with a string bow. It’s important you have good form for the easiest learning curve.

Making a string bow by NASP, USA archery uses bands I like the string better but both formats are comparable

Here’s a basic overview. NASP is geared towards kids but don’t let that worry you, it’s good information. As stated USA archery uses basic terminology differences but similar. This is just a decent explanation.
Recurve, compound uses same exact steps. If you’re using a release when you set string bow you need to figure that. Tie in a release loop and adjust string length for that.
Same grip, same follow through for both.
Be advised George Ryals archery learning center has some more advanced video for compound. Especially if you’re looking toward release watch the way he fires a button if you’re inclined toward a thumb style release.

Thought of something that might be interesting. I’m big on mentoring and helping others. I bet there’s someone reading along about to embark on a first year. Or It could even be a hunter who’s dabbled along yet still unsuccessful a year or so. Let’s help em.
This is a two sided thought, it’d be cool if we could sorta “live vicariously” through someone as they posted about getting ready, what luck they’re having and if successful we could all share in their success.
A great part for the new person, they can ask questions, bounce ideas off the forum thus having a bunch of mentors of sorts from afar. As a youngster, I myself, knew no one turkey hunted but I had this desire to try. Luckily one fellow allowed this same approach. I’d call him for his advice. I’ll always be thankful for that.
Perhaps as a new guy, they get some advice about why what they’re doing or not doing could or couldn’t be a good idea both archery itself as animal specific techniques.
Now if it’s pointed to certain animals say a western mule deer or elk hunter, I surely can’t help with those specifics being from the east. Hopefully someone closer there could answer the question and this be fun and beneficial for all involved. Hopefully some fellows will reply and hopefully others lend advice.
So new folks, don’t be shy, no question is too silly.
If it helps one person I’m game.

Gonna post a pic of what it’s all about. I teach archery and was teaching for the PAL this particular day. A woman walked in with her teen daughter.
The kid wanted to hunt, mom didn’t know how or who to ask. She walked into the archery club offering money for a “guide”.
She wanted to kill a turkey first. I told mom I’d only take her if mom came and I wouldn’t accept any payment. I wasn’t going into the woods w a young girl.
Anyhow, that particular morning was her first ever hunt w me and it was black. Really dark, possibly scary for a kid as I use no lights but she trudged on.
At daylight a bird started hammering nearby, you shoulda seen her face light up! 45 mins into daylight she got her shot. Look at that smile, it’s what it’s all about. We deer hunted, squirrel, waterfowl and upland bird hunted, she was successful at all but it started here.
She’s now a Marine. God bless her
If everyone was like you the world would be a much better place. Well Done.

Great thread Foggy Mountain. Long-time hunter here with a 14 yo son. My only experience with a bow was shooting a buddy's 2nd hand bow in high school (early 90's). We had no concept of setup and just started shooting. He was good with it, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. It was discouraging for me, so I never picked up a bow again.

Fast forward to today, my son and I have decided to learn to bow hunt. We primarily hunt whitetails and hogs in Alabama, with an annual out-of-state hunt. We have been reading all we can, talking with an experienced friend and stopping by our local bow shop. Finally pulled the trigger on a bow for him and me this week, to be picked up this coming Tuesday. Our plan is to shoot whenever we can from now until October. Any advice is appreciated.

There are several videos out there on the proper technique. Learn early how to do it right. Good luck to you and your son

This interests me a bit. I'm an old fart, took up hunting late, but have never used a bow (don't even own one). Been toying with the idea of getting a bow for deer and turkey (not bear - I don't like what I see on bowhunting bear videos). Its a balance between "Do I spend the year improving my rifle hunting skills, or is it time to branch out into bowhunting?"

If you’re an old fart, you don’t need to improve your rifle hunting skills any more than you should ‘teach that old dog a new trick’! Go to your local archery shop and they’ll teach you everything from proper form, sizes for draw length and arrow shafts, safe and effective draw weight etc.. you’ll have a blast, I assure you! Just my $0.02!

This interests me a bit. I'm an old fart, took up hunting late, but have never used a bow (don't even own one). Been toying with the idea of getting a bow for deer and turkey (not bear - I don't like what I see on bowhunting bear videos). Its a balance between "Do I spend the year improving my rifle hunting skills, or is it time to branch out into bowhunting?"
The very best hunting memories have occurred with a bow in hand. Best time of the year. Best encounters with animals. I occassionally drift away from it for a few years at a time but I drift back and re-ignite the fire differently each time. I hope I can do it til my last days. Do it for the FUN of it!!!

Agreed. All my closest encounters to elk deer bear rodents, everything! I love when the songbirds land an armslength away to sing their morning song while you stare them in the hairy eyeball ☺️, the most miles without noticing how far I’ve drifted from not only camp or the trail, but from where I intended to be entirely!

My advice would be to spend some time in an archery club or range. See what people are shooting and the different types and brands of bows. Most people are very willing to be helpful and show you some things. Your dominate eye is very important if its much stronger than your weaker one. Go with what you were given. Do not overbow and take on too many pounds. Develop form. Develop form. Make sure you get the right draw length. It is pretty important. Practice and practice some more. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back