First Wyoming Deer Hunt

seigeto

Pulled a Wyoming Region C General tag this year. Was hoping to just tack that deer tag onto an antelope hunt, but didn't pull my tag for antelope, and not sure the leftover lope tags are worth putting in for given I don't have any landowner connections. So I'll be heading out on my first western/first deer hunt as an adult onset hunter, and relative newbie (I've been bird hunting the last few years and practicing my marksmanship as I gear up for larger animals). I really enjoying reading, so my first step when learning about a new animal is to read whatever I can find, on that note - does anyone have any favourite mule deer books they can recommend? And then I'll be listening to the podcasts, and browsing the forums looking for all the other how-to information. Appreciate everything I've learnt this so far on this one.

Can't be of much assistance other than Wyoming is probably the greatest state in the Union. I wouldn't write off the antelope hunting. A lot of private landowners are happy to let people shoot does on their land without a trespass fee. You gotta put a little work into finding the right person, etc, but it can work out. I've had a few friends that have gone that route and been successful.

It's been a while and I dont remember the name of it, but David Long has a good mule deer book out, might even have more by now. I'll also say dont discount the leftover antelope tags. I picked one up a few years back and had a fun hunt. I also scored on a doe as well. The unit was bottom of the barrel, but I had a good time. That being said, don't try to spread yourself too thin either.

"Public Land Mulies" - by David Long. A very good book to learn muley behavior and how they use cover. I learned a lot from this book and shot the buck in my avatar on my first trip hunting mule deer because of what I learned from this book.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back