First Western Hunt!! New Mexico unit 45 rifle elk

dylanferreira93

I drew an elk first rifle unit 45 tag in New Mexico. I've been doing a tom of e-scouting and was hoping to run it by someone who has been on the field before. With my work schedule i was unable to make it out beforehand to scout. Appreciate all the help!!

Welcome! If you can, show up a couple of days early to get to know the unit and scout. Things look very different in real life sometimes and it pays to be flexible and have backup plans.

there are some area you can try is Elk Mountain, Cow Creek or Bull Creek in Pecos

if your staying in santa fe, go up to sfe ski basin and follow the power line, there are elk...

there are some area you can try is Elk Mountain, Cow Creek or Bull Creek in Pecos

if your staying in santa fe, go up to sfe ski basin and follow the power line, there are elk...
That is where I was going to suggest,right outside the Wilderness is where I have found the most. Get away from the few roads & be prepared to hike steep country.

Has anyone hunted this area since the fire? I have a disability muzzleloader hunt on October 8-12 2022. I’m going to be hunting on the Westside of the unit near Penasco. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if we can drive a side by side there as my dad can’t walk very far as he is disabled and I want to put him up in an area he can handle.

We drew a mobility deer hunt there as well in November. The elk hunt is a regular muzzleloader hunt not a mobility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back