First Waterfowl outting of the year

Scrumbag

Hello all,

Got out last Thursday on the marsh with my Dad.

Got a Hen Mallard and Canada Goose:

AIwhQ2Ml.jpg

Sorry about the picture, both were dead in air and landed in some very black, stinky mud so this honestly is the best angle.

Equipment was:
Mossberg 535 pump action
Duck shells: 3.5" No.3 Gamebore Mammouths 42gr
Goose Shells: 3.5" No.1 Federal Blindside 46gr (Might have been BB)

Just a simple couple of lengths of camo net next to a washed-up tree - trunk on the side of the river bank.

7 shots, 2 birds (Should have been 5, sent 3 after a duck that should have been 1 as a rubbish mount).

GREAT MORNING FOR AN OPENING!

Scrummy

3.5" shells? Sure you got enough gun for opening morning? Firing those bazooka loads out of a pump has gotta be brutal! I jump shot a limit of five honkers yesterday with cheap 3" Challenger (made in Quebec with French Cheddite components) 1 1/8 oz BB at 1550 fps. I actually missed two shots at birds flying by too close. Tried to pull the shot and either miss or hit head. I am not the kind of sportsman who gets his jollies turning birds into feather confetti. Finally got it sorted out and shot the fifth one trying to fly past into the wind at maybe fifteen yards. Head shot. Not one pellet anywhere in the meat of any of the honkers (I save breast meat, thighs, and drumsticks [latter get canned up for dogfood]). Correction: two honkers had old pellets from previous engagements. One was #1 steel and the other was #6 lead. No doubt that one was shot up north by Native folks. They can and do ignore the lead ban. Could care less about their sacred eagles dying of lead poisoning. Conservation laws don't apply to them. Is what it is.

3.5" shells? Sure you got enough gun for opening morning? Firing those bazooka loads out of a pump has gotta be brutal! I jump shot a limit of five honkers yesterday with cheap 3" Challenger (made in Quebec with French Cheddite components) 1 1/8 oz BB at 1550 fps. I actually missed two shots at birds flying by too close. Tried to pull the shot and either miss or hit head. I am not the kind of sportsman who gets his jollies turning birds into feather confetti. Finally got it sorted out and shot the fifth one trying to fly past into the wind at maybe fifteen yards. Head shot. Not one pellet anywhere in the meat of any of the honkers (I save breast meat, thighs, and drumsticks [latter get canned up for dogfood]). Correction: two honkers had old pellets from previous engagements. One was #1 steel and the other was #6 lead. No doubt that one was shot up north by Native folks. They can and do ignore the lead ban. Could care less about their sacred eagles dying of lead poisoning. Conservation laws don't apply to them. Is what it is.
Well, I was borrowing the Mossberg 535 and the shells were provided so I wasn't complaining ;)

(Also, if "pattern kills", more shot tends to be more reliable!)

Anyway, fun was had!

I love those challengers. The 1.25 oz 2’s are my favourite shell

Well, I was borrowing the Mossberg 535 and the shells were provided so I wasn't complaining ;)

Anyway, fun was had!
Shoot what works for you, glad you and your dad had a good opener.

Anyway, fun was had!
Given the price of those shells, definitely no need to complain if they're free, especially with the ongoing ammo supply drought. It's what I would have done. I had to shoot pheasants with 3" shells last fall because it was the only steel shot available and I had to use steel on the federal refuges. 3" for roosters is way over the top.

"Pattern kills" was maybe the mantra back in the days of lead shot waterfowl hunting. Nowadays it's speed kills. It's the reason I don't shoot heavier loads than 1 1/8 oz steel out of 3" twelve gauge. Need that 1550 fps speed to get the steel pellets to hit hard enough to break bones or penetrate geese. 1400 fps is money in the trash can. So shooting a thinner faster pattern with steel works. Just shoot better. I won't shoot geese with anything less than BB. Maybe #1 if I can find it. #2 is just too dicey for big honkers (but great for ducks ... just keep the velocity up)

Given the price of those shells, definitely no need to complain if they're free, especially with the ongoing ammo supply drought. It's what I would have done. I had to shoot pheasants with 3" shells last fall because it was the only steel shot available and I had to use steel on the federal refuges. 3" for roosters is way over the top.

"Pattern kills" was maybe the mantra back in the days of lead shot waterfowl hunting. Nowadays it's speed kills. It's the reason I don't shoot heavier loads than 1 1/8 oz steel out of 3" twelve gauge. Need that 1550 fps speed to get the steel pellets to hit hard enough to break bones or penetrate geese. 1400 fps is money in the trash can. So shooting a thinner faster pattern with steel works. Just shoot better. I won't shoot geese with anything less than BB. Maybe #1 if I can find it. #2 is just too dicey for big honkers (but great for ducks ... just keep the velocity up)
I've had awesome luck with #2 on honkers inside 35 yards but that's shooting an awfully tight pattern.

Yeah 3" for pheasant is a bit much!

I'm still a fan of decent pattern - if there are holes in it, you won't kill so well. Though I think slow steel is a waste of time, lack of density means you need the MV

When I was growing up life was simpler - Seemed to use 30gr No.5 fibre wad for everything.

Ducks - no.5
Pheasant - no.5
Pigeon - no.5
Rabbits - no.5

Was a very easy and effective answer to most questions.

Back