First time hunting in Idaho. Access and what to expect?

Blaster1

Hey guys. So I’ve been kicking around the idea of planning a trip to Idaho for whitetail next year. During the rut. I’m from western Washington and I’m just tired of fighting all the trucks driving around public land. Anyways. I already know the area I want to go because I worked in Idaho this summer. So I’m thinking unit 6. Clarkia, Santa, and st maries area. I guess I’m just wondering what to expect? Is there a bunch of people driving everywhere on potlatch land usually? Is there even access to drive a vehicle up there? I’ve been told the gates get locked and access is restricted to atv only. Is that still true on potlatch land? Or what land does this happen on? And what specific areas if you can think of them? I’m a hiker when it comes to hunting but I’d like to be able to drive my truck up into the hills and hike from there. Also, what’s the weather like out there mid November? Any info and experiences are definitely appreciated! Thanks guys and happy hunting!

Lots of gates in the area. Some you can take an ATV or bike around and some you can't. Stimpson Lumber also owns a bunch of ground around there. Most gates will have a sign on it showing what can or cannot be used. About half the gates you can ride around.

There is lots of timber around there. With the booming economy they have been logging hard. More clear-cuts then ever. Pair of binos is probably all you will need. Leave the spotter in the truck or even at home. Weather can be hit or miss. It can be 50* and mild or 25* and a foot of snow.

Many roads can be driven to access areas. There will also be plenty of road hunters. The pressure in unit 6 has been increasing every year no matter what the statistics say. Follow some basics and you will find a deer or two. Look for heavy game crossings across the roads. Hike out the trails and see if its elk or deer working the area. Looking for scrapes and rubs will clue you in on the buck activity. Like anywhere big bucks will be far and few between. The highly successful guys know where they are year round. There are even a few tree stands around that country.

Good luck!

Lots of gates in the area. Some you can take an ATV or bike around and some you can't. Stimpson Lumber also owns a bunch of ground around there. Most gates will have a sign on it showing what can or cannot be used. About half the gates you can ride around.

There is lots of timber around there. With the booming economy they have been logging hard. More clear-cuts then ever. Pair of binos is probably all you will need. Leave the spotter in the truck or even at home. Weather can be hit or miss. It can be 50* and mild or 25* and a foot of snow.

Many roads can be driven to access areas. There will also be plenty of road hunters. The pressure in unit 6 has been increasing every year no matter what the statistics say. Follow some basics and you will find a deer or two. Look for heavy game crossings across the roads. Hike out the trails and see if its elk or deer working the area. Looking for scrapes and rubs will clue you in on the buck activity. Like anywhere big bucks will be far and few between. The highly successful guys know where they are year round. There are even a few tree stands around that country.

Good luck!

Awesome info! So sounds like I won’t have any problem driving up into the hills a ways and then getting out and hiking!

sage hunter gave pretty spot on advice. Expect gates that are labeled no atv traffic to have heavy atv use in my experience. Lots of people that hunt that country don't do much walking but most likely spend lots of money on gas for an atv. Also don't expect just because you are walking in somewhere to not have someone just ride up on you and keep going ruining anything you had planned.

sage hunter gave pretty spot on advice. Expect gates that are labeled no atv traffic to have heavy atv use in my experience. Lots of people that hunt that country don't do much walking but most likely spend lots of money on gas for an atv. Also don't expect just because you are walking in somewhere to not have someone just ride up on you and keep going ruining anything you had planned.

Copy. I don’t have an atv. So I’m just trying to make sure I can drive my truck through atleast some gates so I don’t have to hike from pavement.

I hunted in that area 2 years ago had a elk and deer tag seen whitetail every day so it shouldnt be a problem and like others has said i seen alot of atvs and even if the signs say no atv they dont care if they can get around it they will be back there also

Copy. I don’t have an atv. So I’m just trying to make sure I can drive my truck through atleast some gates so I don’t have to hike from pavement.

Tons of truck access, most gates aren't located along pavement.

Hi, I am heading back up to northern Idaho on a mission to fill two whitetail tags, I am a meat hunter and not picky this late in the season. I have hunted around Bovil and saw lots of deer there in October but will be returning for the last week of the season and need advise on where to go in late November ? I am wondering if I should venture more north towards clarkia and above or am I just as well off in the Bovil-elk city area ? I am very mobile and have a good atv and not afraid to hike. Any advise would be appreciated.

Idaho is experiencing a population boom nowadays. The 2023 deer/elk seasons experienced record numbers of hunter afield. Illegal ATV traffic ran rampant. If you come, be prepared to improvise, adapt, and overcome your hunting strategies daily. You will be dealing with overwhelming hunting pressure and ATV pressure.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back