Caribou Gear

First time elk hunter

Jhart71

I'm trying to plan a OTC and diy hunt in Colorado I access to a place to stay in Winter Park and was thinking of hunting that area I believe from looking at some maps that would be unit 28 planning on 2nd rifle season although I'm not planning on hunting until 2022 because of family obligations so any information on this unit would be much appreciated thanks

Welcome aboard, that unit gets hunters aplenty. And elk are hard to come by but doable. Good luck on your planning.

Ok thanks I'll keep looking I'm thinking that anything around more populated areas are going to be very hunter heavy.

Welcome. Don't close yourself in on Colorado unless it's just a dream of yours to hunt there. Plenty of really good Western states to hunt elk. I would also tell you not to be so hell bent on a bull elk unless it's truly important to you. There are some amazing hunting options in the west for Cow/spike elk tags, including Colorado. Just be open you may find you can have an amazing FIRST elk hunt. My .02

Just don't come to Washington. We don't have any elk here and the hunting is horrible......😉

Thanks my original plan was to hunt the archery season but one of my hunting partners would rather hunt rifle and as far Colorado goes it's because of a free place to stay trying to keep it as cost effective as possible

Also keep in mind the date changes for 2nd rifle. I want to say by 2021, 2nd rifle will start like 29 Oct. They are undergoing a pretty substantial change over the next 2 years

Last edited:
Colorado sounds like a great choice,seeing as all the Arizona Elk have been pushed
there by the Mexican Grey Wolves and the Chupacabra... ;)💥

Im not sure if it takes points or not but why not look into 1st rifle? Its limited entry so shouldn't be as crowded as 2nd rifle and elk may still be bugling. Generally a better experience than 2nd rifle overall. Don't have to contend with deer hunters also

Also keep in mind the date changes for 2nd rifle. I want to say by 2021, 2nd rifle will start like 29 Oct. They are undergoing a pretty substantial change over the next 2 years
Thanks for the heads up I'll keep this in mind.

Just was thinking about it would that mean I would have to plan more for a late hunting season rather than a post rut season.

Back