Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

first time elk hunter questions

Robertsj22

so i'm beginning to plan my first elk hunt for the 2019 season. I haven't ever been out west and have a few questions for anyone that can help.

1. Should a first timer use an outfitter for there first elk hunt? I can afford at most a drop camp but i figure for the price id pay for that i could buy everything i need for a great camp by the trail head.
2. Is there any advantage in say colorado to go first rifle over second or third rifle?
3. Am i crazy for thinking i could actually see some elk going unguided.

The answers to all of your questions.....are "it depends". Are you in shape? Willing to get in shape? A drop camp probably wont be in a "prime" location but it could be. I have never done one but a few on here have. For the cost of a drop camp I'm guessing you could hunt 2-3 years DIY. Do some research on here for threads on "how to find elk" areas, terrain, etc. What is your level of experience? Would you be going solo or bringing a partner? First rifle requires a draw in CO. I do think this is a better tag (in most instances) then 2-3 rifle...simple because elk have calmed down and had a break after Archery season. Look into areas you are interesting in hunting. Do they require preference point(s)? A lot of the units you can draw without any....but something to look into. As far as question number 3 goes...... you can CERTAINLY expect to see elk if you go DIY as long as you put in some legwork. Hike in a ways....get 2-3 miles from the road. Then....it becomes a fine line. You will see more elk the farther you get (in a lot of cases) but.....every mile farther you venture out.....is a mile farther you have to pack an elk out! :) Good luck. Why are you waiting until 2019?

If you can afford an outfitter, do it. It really helps to go with more experienced people when you first start out. I would recommend going with an outfitter on public land, though. I think it would make you a better elk hunter in the long run because the outfitter has to navigate all the same challenges you would as a DIYer. A guide on private land doesn't have to deal with pressure from other hunters and the additional challenges that produces. I started out hunting private land. It was fun and I loved having a full freezer, but I really didn't learn that much because my guides already knew what the elk were doing and where they were. When I went on public land with more experienced hunters is when I really grew as an elk hunter.

CO 1st season is 5 days, 2nd and 3rd are 9 days including 2 weekends. For DIY, longer seasons give you more time to find and pursue elk. Lots more hunters in 2nd/3rd, including deer hunters that are not out during 1st.

Something that I often take for granted is the ability to spot game in the west. I have taken people hunting that have hinted a good portion of their life but never for big game in the west and they struggle for a little while to spot game. A guide could help out a lot in this area. That being said you could buy a couple of hunts for what a guide will cost you, so you have to measure that benefit for yourself.

I know that elk hunting seems sure exciting, but its not for everyone. I know LOTS of people in the west that hunt on a regular basis, but have given up on elk because its a struggle. Elk are not disseminated across the landscape like deer. A lot of the time you are either in elk or you are not. If you are not in elk you can travel a long distance before you see them again. So, I would hold up on spending tons of money on gear that you may never use again. Get your feet wet and see what you think.

Just my two cents.

well i don't have any points yet to go first rifle, and saving up enough to buy all camp supplies and money for the trip.

I definitely understand the budget. I honestly could not afford to hunt elk, if I were not a resident of a good elk state. Have you looked into WY? We have more elk per hunter than any other state. You can easily get a cow tag in many good areas. You could also apply for a general tag with decent odds.

you could buy a couple of hunts for what a guide will cost you

This is an important point.

I know that elk hunting seems sure exciting, but its not for everyone. I know LOTS of people in the west that hunt on a regular basis, but have given up on elk because its a struggle. Elk are not disseminated across the landscape like deer.

This is one of the reasons hunting with someone more experienced (doesn't need to be an outfitter necessarily) when starting is really helpful. Hunting elk is as tough mentally as it is physically. I've yet to reach my physical limit while hunting elk, but I've reached my mental limit a few times.

Save your money and buy good gear. Learn everything you can about elk and backpack hunting, then put all of that knowledge to the test on you own adventure. Over time you will figure out your own style that works for you. You can go hunt elk this year OTC. I hunted first rifle in 2013 and had to leave 3 days early because of a freak winter snow storm, so first rifle isn't always the best.

i haven't really choose a state yet. Ive said colorado because its the closest to pennsylvannia and i know some people that have went there before. But if there are other states that might be a good idea please say.

I don't want to knock Colorado, but a lot of guys from the east are the same way. Like elk hunting in general they're hesitant to go that extra mile. So don't overlook other states. I'd consider a semi guided hunt. You talk with an outfitter or guide. Meet him in the field, get some places to go, ask questions and gain some knowledge. Your miles ahead of where you'd be and you didn't spend thousands having someone hold your hand.

Buy a Wyoming elk point now. Buy one next year. Hunt elk there in 2019. I've elk hunted guided on public and private. I've DIYed on public and private. The nice thing about guided is that they can get the elk out for you and they have the equipment.
You also may want to find someone to team up with and go DIY. You need binos, a good sleeping bag, a pack, and a tent.

I'm with you Robertsj22, I'm going for my first DIY in 2019 as well for the exact same reasons: gathering equipment, learning, no points, etc. I'm planning next year to do the Elk 101 online class but I read everything I can get my hands on and listen to every podcast Bigfin has on the subject. Although it's still a while away, I'm trying to stay in good shape. Maybe we can share war stories when we return? Good luck and I welcome everyone's words of wisdom as well.

well i don't have any points yet to go first rifle, and saving up enough to buy all camp supplies and money for the trip.

Not all first rifle hunts require points. You can check out the CPW's elk statistics for draw results for the previous year to get an idea of what you would need to pull a tag

I remember reading once you have to decide do you want to hunt elk or do you want to be an elk hunter? If you think it's going to be something you are only going to do once or twice maybe a guide would be worth saving up for, and you could decide once you've actually gone and done it if its for you. If your dead set on hunting elk over and over maybe save for the gear. That's just how I look at it.

In all honesty, the worst thing I ever did was to go on my first elk hunt. Now I just build points in different states, up grade gear, stare at maps, plan hunts years in advance, take other people out in the mountains chasing elk, heck I can't pass a magazine stand and not by a magazine that has an elk on the cover! Yup this sickness is in my blood and there is no cure and I really don't think I want cured. Also never been on a guided hunt, only DIY.

I remember reading once you have to decide do you want to hunt elk or do you want to be an elk hunter? If you think it's going to be something you are only going to do once or twice maybe a guide would be worth saving up for, and you could decide once you've actually gone and done it if its for you. If your dead set on hunting elk over and over maybe save for the gear. That's just how I look at it.

I think you have to define success. If success to you is meat in the freezer, I'd go the outfitter route. If you dont need meat to be successful... do it yourself.

I've hunted Colorado 1st season the last 3 years without any points. DIY and learned a bunch every year. Only shot one Elk in those 3 years, however, time spent in the Rockies is priceless. Budget has been under $1000 every year, although I hunt with 3 others and we split costs.

I was in your shoes about 5 years ago. I have done DIY Archery in CO 3 times. I should have 2 dead elk, but I suck. (and shtuff happens). My advice is start a file of all elk info that you learn. Take lots of notes. Organize in terms of general elk info, CO info, WY info, etc. - Learn about the states draw/tag systems and see what fits for you. I am getting points in 2 states while hunting every year and learning in CO. After a year of research you can go back through all of your notes and certain info will jump out at you and other info will be constantly repeated. There is no substitute for time in the mountains, but you can only do so much from PA. - I always see PA trucks in CO, just as many as any other state. Corey Jacobsen on line course is good, as is all of the Elk Nut info, see their website for some good info. Granted , a lot of both guys info will be archery related. Another source is to go to YouTube and search elk hunting with many different videos. A lot of it is just "watch me kill my elk" but you can learn some things along the way.
Best wishes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back