Caribou Gear Tarp

First season rifle unit 77 colorado help

Rjschwertz66

Hello my name is Reed, my father and two of my buddies are finally pulling the trigger on our first elk hunt. We chose unit 77 first season rifle in Colorado.We're e-scouting like crazy looking for burns and any areas that look nasty to get too or are at least a mile from any trails. We've got four different spots picked out. We all are in pretty good shape, but we've kicked our rucking up a notch trying to get ready. If anyone has any more advice or insight please, if you're willing to teach Im willing to learn.

How did the Colorado 3rd season rifle hunt turn out in 2017 in units 301, 4, or 11? Did you get to go and if so was it a good experience? I know some guys that hunt archery in 77 and have had success.

I didn't get to go my fiance and i bought a house and it was buy the house or go elk hunting and she made that decision for me, if you know what i mean. I understand that 1st season is after peak rut but has anyone had success calling or is it too late?

I hunted deer in 77/78 this past season during 2nd rifle. Didn't see a single elk on public but I did see sign that wasn't too old way up on top at the edges of burns. I would go up high and scout around. I can tell you that country is a lot rougher than it looked on the map to me. The farther up and deep you go on the roads the less people you will see, get out and walk and you will see even less.

I'm saving my points for 1st rifle but I haven't decided if I'm going back there or someplace new.

If you want to PM any questions feel free. I still have all my spots marked on OnX.

I hunted deer in 77/78 this past season during 2nd rifle. Didn't see a single elk on public but I did see sign that wasn't too old way up on top at the edges of burns. I would go up high and scout around. I can tell you that country is a lot rougher than it looked on the map to me. The farther up and deep you go on the roads the less people you will see, get out and walk and you will see even less.

I'm saving my points for 1st rifle but I haven't decided if I'm going back there or someplace new.

If you want to PM any questions feel free. I still have all my spots marked on OnX.
I had a similar experience in 77/78. The only elk I saw were being packed out by others, never saw one on the hoof.

I didn't get to go my fiance and i bought a house and it was buy the house or go elk hunting and she made that decision for me, if you know what i mean. I understand that 1st season is after peak rut but has anyone had success calling or is it too late?
It's not too late, and a lot of people do it. If you are worried about someone shooting at you then just don't do it. I mean, you will be wearing orange, maybe just skip the "raking of trees" portion of the calling sequence lol.

First time CO Mule hunter here. I drew 77/78 2nd rifle this season and am looking for any tips/advice you may be able to provide based on your past experience. Not looking to 'steal' any spots or anything, just general info or whatever you feel comfortable sharing in regards to those 2 GMU's and the mule deer contained in them. Thanks in advance...and if not, no worries.

First time CO Mule hunter here. I drew 77/78 2nd rifle this season and am looking for any tips/advice you may be able to provide based on your past experience. Not looking to 'steal' any spots or anything, just general info or whatever you feel comfortable sharing in regards to those 2 GMU's and the mule deer contained in them. Thanks in advance...and if not, no worries.

was these last year, sent dm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back