First Lite Layering

bigsky2

I'm wanting to get some First Lite gear for bow season and there's so many options for tops that it's kind of hard to decide what to go with. What do you all recommend? I often wear a sweatshirt for the first hour or so of the day in September, should I go with the Chama Hoody or the Labrador Sweater? As for an outer layer should I go with the Puffy Jacket or the North Branch Soft Shell?

though I don't exclusively wear firstlite my layering goes like this... long sleeve lightweight merino thermal (like the llano), then my chama hoody, then a shell very similar to the North branch. I back a much lighter puffy (basin and range on backcounty.com) and a set of very thin rain gear.

I have the Llana Crew and the Chama Hoody and the puffy. I wear the two base layers mainly unless its windy or colder then I put the puffy on. that thing is too warm to walk in during bow season but is really nice when glassing in the wind or cold.

Typical layering for me is a Llano, then my Chama hoody or my springer vest then my puffy. I have a north branch but to be honest I very rarely use it. I find my puffy and a hard shell are for more versatile and lighter than my north branch. I am a big fan of the kanabs as well and with a base layer under I can wear my kanabs down to single digits.

I also have a Labrador and have yet to wear it hunting. I don't imagine myself wearing it as an outer layer like I do quite often with my chama or halstead fleece.

Anyone use the raingear? How packable is it?
Extremely packable. I was going to buy some, but the new stuff they came out with this year looks too thin...I think it would be great for sitting and glassing, but move around much and it looks like you risk tearing it.

as for layering, I wear the llano and then the chama hoody. Labrador sweater looks too big and bulky. I carry a Costco puffy for when I stop to glass.

I got the Boundary Stormtight and honestly I am not that impressed. It works excellent, and it is breathable, but I am on my third one now because the laminating keeps separating from the jacket at the pockets. First Lite made it right both times and sent me a replacement, but for 300 bucks I was hoping for something a bit more durable. Also, I have completely ruined 2 pairs of the Kanab Pants now. The bottom were shredded after a few outings. Once again First Lite made it right, but for almost $200....

I love the thermals I have from them though, and no issues after a few years now.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back