PEAX Equipment

First impression of new Savage 110 Ultralight

std7mag

The thread on hunting rifle weight was going through my mind while i was at the Harrisburg, PA Outdoors Show.
So i made a point of going to the Savage booth to check out their new 110 Ultralight.

First impression was it's not too bad looking. No, it's not Model 70, or ABL good looking, but not too bad.

The bolt is spiral fluted, and 110 action lightened ( it looked more like a lightened Axis action to me).
The carbon fibre wrapped barrel has essentially a #2 steel contour, and is threaded at the muzzle.

Barrels come in 22 inch for 308, 30-06, 270, 6.5 CM, and 280Ackley.
Why only a 22" for 280Ackley is beyond me.
The 300WSM, 6.5PRC, 28Nosler come with 24" barrels of same contour.

Upon picking it up, the first thing you notice is how light it is. Sample was a 22" in 308 at 5,3/4lbs.
Then the cheap plastic feel of the stock hits you. The forestock has a LOT of flex!
It is an AccuStock, and does have the aluminium bedding block, along with spacers for LOP and comb height.
The recoil pad seems nice with some squish to help manage the recoil from that light of a rifle.
I asked the rep about the forestock flex, and why after so many years of being a complaint it hadn't been addressed?
The response was AccuStock, bla, bla, blaaa.

The AccuTrigger was nice. Light with no creep, and as always, adjustable.

Back to the bolt.
Bolt release is on the bottom, in front of the trigger guard. Why Savage thought this was a good place for it is beyond me..
The bolt knob is of decent size, and your gonna need it!
Bolt lift was hard, and sliding the bolt is stiff, regardless of the fluting.

Overall, good idea, but follow through is definitely lacking.

I myself am not willing to spend $1,100 retail on a rifle that needs a stock, and action work before i'd take it hunting!
Your money is better spent on a Tikka T3X, or a Mauser M18.

Ha, I was at the GAOS this past Wednesday and bee lined it right to the Savage booth to do the exact same thing! I found it lighter than expected, and like you found the stock flimsy especially at the fore end. For the money they’re asking I was hoping there was a little more, but found it lacking, trigger was good, but think Savage could’ve done more in the quality department, better stock, smoother action cycling, etc. Maybe that was a just a display unit and the final product(s) will be better. I own 2 Savage rifles now, and the quality is much better on those. I think for the money, I’d put my money on another Browning X-Bolt.

Ha, I was at the GAOS this past Wednesday and bee lined it right to the Savage booth to do the exact same thing! I found it lighter than expected, and like you found the stock flimsy especially at the fore end. For the money they’re asking I was hoping there was a little more, but found it lacking, trigger was good, but think Savage could’ve done more in the quality department, better stock, smoother action cycling, etc. Maybe that was a just a display unit and the final product(s) will be better. I own 2 Savage rifles now, and the quality is much better on those. I think for the money, I’d put my money on another Browning X-Bolt.
+1
f.png

d.png

Pick up a Mauser M18 when you get a chance.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Heavier at 7lbs, but solid quality.

Pick up a Mauser M18 when you get a chance.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Heavier at 7lbs, but solid quality.
The Mauser are I’m sure, of high quality, just wish there was a dealer within 100 miles of me, so that I can check them out.

Savage is known "to shoot".
Proof Research is known "to shoot".

Amazing bargain? Maybe, maybe not.

Axis actions are selling for $145
Chambered Proof Research barrel $900.

Both ways still need a stock.

Savage is known "to shoot".
Proof Research is known "to shoot".

Amazing bargain? Maybe, maybe not.

Axis actions are selling for $145
Chambered Proof Research barrel $900.
Both ways still need a stock.

The stocks don't bother me at all. A Proof barreled factory rifle for around a grand is an amazing bargain, no doubt about that. I've had CF barreled rifles built, and I will take a serious look when these come out.

I understand that some people like them but these new stocks on the Savages are ugly as heck. Give me a Tupperware stock that I'm going to throw away and knock a little off the MSRP.

personally I think a Proof barrel on a Savage action is polishing a turd...I own 3 savage rifles so I'm not a snob just that I don't think it'll offer anything except an attempt at cool factor
Not a cool factor thing at all.
It's a 5,3/4lb Savage rifle thing.

Your gonna drop at least twice the $ to match most other makers Ultra Lighht Weights.

If I was looking for a factory rifle, it would be a Tikka. That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a standard Savage action. I have never been a fan of the cheapo Axis etc., but I have three older 110 actions that all great. Two have Criterion barrels on them and one is still original on an -06. They are easy to re-barrel, because of the barrel nut system and both the old and new triggers are fine.

I have no issue with the fiber stocks that seem flimsy in the front end. My Ruger American was like that, and I just put some epoxy in the cross hatch inside the stock. No problem, now. It is not something that you should get on an $1100 rifle, though.

Imagine the work that would go into making something like a 460 Weatherby in a 5# rifle that someone could actually shoot without ripping off their shoulder!

For the life of me I just don't get this craze for lightweight rifles, especially expensive ones. Snowed in here so for something to do last night I brought out my nine pound Springfield 03A3 with 3x9x40 and snapped some dry fires through the dining room window at the garage door handle. Only fifty yards but that gun just floats to it and hovers, even on 9x. No rest, no sling support (actually, I find using a sling makes me MORE unsteady), just standing offhand. I have pointed new 6 lb guns in the stores and they are not NEARLY as steady. Sure, a good rest or bipod can mitigate that unsteadiness ... if the animal will sit still long enough to get set up. So shave the weight on the gun and add it back with a bipod? Anyway, if my heavier gun is that much steadier offhand, it will be equally more steady on a bipod or rest. If the object is to shoot accurately so the animal dies humanely, why pick a rifle that the laws of physics dictates is not going to be as steady? Carrying a lightweight rifle may be more comfortable (shooting one rarely is!) but if comfort is important, what's the hunter doing backpacking miles to tent camp in the depths of winter? And really, how much more gear is three pounds difference going to make? Lightweight rifles are better technology ... because the people who sell them say so.

Personally, I think balance and trigger characteristics are much more important than weight. With weight there is a point of diminishing returns. It's somewhere well above 6 lbs and maybe a bit under 9 lbs. Anything lighter or heavier is not going to handle, and therefore perform, as well for the average hunter.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back