First Hunt of the Year

maxx

It was suppose to happen on Tuesday with Doves but my 10 year old blew chunks after football practice Monday night. He was fine the next day but by the letter of the law we had to keep him home for 24 hours. Momma had a big day at work so I took off and didn't get out for doves.

The Teal season opens tomorrow. I was up at 4:30 to head out and scout. I have permission to hunt a small 12 acre marsh that is connected to a few hundred acre public marsh. It is great because to hunt public around here you have to stake your claim the night before opener. I don't have that in me plus I like taking the boys. The only problem is there really aren't birds around. The marshes dried up two years ago because of droughts and the weeds have taken over. They don't have a lot of open water like they used to and I think that hurts for the early teal.

On to plan B which will require me to use my boat. I have to run and scout it tonight. Still a secluded place that doesn't require getting up to early. Now I have to figure out how I am going to fit my dad, two young boys and a buddy in the boat!

Nothing like a dozen teal screaming into the decoys to wake you up in the morning! Hopefully you can find a couple to warm the barrels on.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back