First Focal Plane vs Second

406LIFE

So I picked up a Browning Hell's Canyon in .300 Win Mag and need to scope it. I have it narrowed down to a Vortex HST (4-16 x44) and a Burris Veracity (3-15x50). Price difference is negilible to me. What isnt is the Burris is a FFP and the Vortex is a SFP. Anyone have experience with both planes? Anyone have one of these scopes and swear I have to get one?

This will be my everything North America gun, and I shoot some distances 300+ sometimes.

One the crosshairs will change size as you change magnification, the other will stay the same. Useful if you want to use it for ranging or a ballistic reticle style.

Yeah, I understand the difference, but all I have ever shot is the SFP, wondering if there is a real world difference that anyone has seen.

In the power ranges you're looking at it I wouldn't worry about it. I find FFP useful with power ranges above about 18x. If you're not looking to get into the long range game I wouldn't pick a scope based on the feature alone

A buddy hunts with an AR10 type setup running the Veracity. The glass is outstanding, crystal clear. I do not care for the FFP reticle on a hunting rig. When zoomed in, the reticle obstructs too much of the image for my liking.

When breaksrunner/Pat Sinclair helped design a scope it ended up as a FFP. If you are using the reticle for hold offs, whether that be for windage or elevation, a FFP makes the most sense to me. If you're not, the only advantage is being able to size the reticle to lighting conditions, which IME is moot for most decent scopes if the reticle is heavy/bold enough anyway. Out to 300yds a 300 Win Mag isn't going to need a lot of holding off anyway...

I always use SFP. My take is that if im needing a ranging reticle, I'll be on max power anyway. I spin turrets on my Long range rig anyway.

If you have the hold over reticles, then it will make a world of difference, because at different powers the 2nd plane gives a different poi for the dots, lines, or whatever. The ffp, will keep the same poi, no matter what power you are on. I don't have any ffp variables, but if I buy another variable, it will be ffp.

I always use SFP. My take is that if im needing a ranging reticle, I'll be on max power anyway. I spin turrets on my Long range rig anyway.
I spin turrets for elevation and like that with a FFP reticle the windage is always the same scale regardless of the power setting of the scope.

I debated about buying the exact same two scopes. I am shooting a .270 and it is my do everything rifle for hunting in Montana. I use the BDC reticles as they work very well with my .270 load. The FFP was my first choice and seemed like it would be an excellent do-all scope. I ended up not buying it (FFP burris), simply because at low magnification the reticle is extremely hard for me to see, especially at low light. When stalking game in the timber I always have my scope at min. zoom. Conversely, in almost every other hunting scenario (150 yards or father) I am going to have my scope at max zoom, and then the focal plane makes no difference.

For me the trade off was won by the Vortex HS scope (SFP). I can easily see my reticle at the low power, and the only thing I have to remember is if I am shooting a long distance and using the BDC reticle I have to make sure i am at full zoom. If I get surprised by an animal, I just shoot the center cross hairs.

300+...sometimes ?? 300 yds, with a 300 Mag, that is pretty much point blank range. If you're that worried about it, get a Leupold CDS.

I've used both FFP and second focal and to me it's much more simple process to use a second focal plane and a scope with a turret. If you prefer to use the reticle instead of the turret than FFP is easier since the subtensions WILL NOT change with magnification change which is nice. if you're using a turret you're dialing the turret and aiming dead on so magnification is irrelevant and your point of impact will not change...make sense? Anyway...that's my long winded answer of saying I like the simplicity of a Custom turret. Kenton Industries offers turrets for both scopes you are looking at

Same here: I hold for windage, and use the turret for elevation. If you're using holdovers, FFP is easier, because your holdover is the same, no matter what magnification.

I have a SFP scope on my long range target rifle, but my hunting rifles are all FFP because they are simpler to use.

I spin turrets for elevation and like that with a FFP reticle the windage is always the same scale regardless of the power setting of the scope.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back