Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

First Deer!

JohnSWA

Senior Thread Mover
Hey guys, I finally did it!

I have some family (in-laws) in Northern Idaho that bugged me to get a deer tag this year so I did. I've only been deer hunting a couple of times and was blanked both times. I had a great time and actually shot my first deer! Unfortunately, the only buck I saw was getting out of dodge, so I only had a couple of shots at two does. My first shot was waaay too close. She was only about 30 yards away from me. I thought that my aim was dead on, but the bullet flew beneath her. I found out that at very close range, you have to aim a little high. Oh well, I'm still learning and having a great time doing it.

The next day out my shot was dead on! It was a standing shot and I didn't shake a bit. I aimed for her neck and Pow! Perfect shot! I dropped her right there. I still wish that I could have had a buck for my first kill, but I'm not complaining. We had an awesome venison dinner last night. Man, you gotta love that back strap!

drool.gif

I did have a little mishap adventure though. You see, my father in law had a problem with his quad, so he told me to keep on cruising and turn right at the cattle guard and I'll end up where we started. He took a short cut back to the truck to fix the quad. I forgot about the cattle guard and man was that a long ride! I don't know how many miles I rode in the dark without knowing where in the world I was. I was on an old logging road for ever until I got on the farming roads. I was cruising for ever, freezing my butt off and hoping and praying to find the main road. I was pretty close to down town Potlatch when I found the road. Oh yeah, another tip for ya when your freezing and lost. KNOW THE PHONE# WHERE YOU'RE STAYING! Cell phones don't work where my father in law lives! Well, I drove this old Kawasaki 185 quad from Potlatch to the Mineral Mountain Rest Area, where my Father in Law is the caretaker. I couldn't believe that I made it! That ol thing is pretty good on gas! It took me a while to get to where I could speak where you could understand me, but the ladies had a good laugh and sent me out to find my Father in Law as soon as I warmed up.

I called my Father in Law on the radio(we were smart enough to use 2-way radios) and he answered back saying that he was looking all over for me. We had a good laugh and went home to warm up and laugh at me some more!
biggrin.gif

I hope I'm not making this story too long, but there's one thing I'd like to add. My Father in Law (Don) was just salivating at his best friends' new muzzle loader. Don didn't have enough money to get one in time for the last muzzle loader hunt and was pretty bummed. I had my wife drive into Moscow and pick one up for him as a surprise and thank you for such a great trip. Now he's all set for the last Elk season and he is just grinning from ear to ear! I had a deer hunt that I will never forget and learned a good lesson about investing in a good gps! If you are ever on the road heading north of Potlach Idaho, stop in at the Mineral Moutain rest area and say "Hi" to Don and Sandy! They are two of the nicest people you will ever meet! I also emailed Delw my pics, so hopefully they will accompany my story soon.

Take care guys and gals and be careful out there!

John

Congrats on the first deer John! I'm sure you'll have many more to come, but the first you'll never forget. Keep it up, and glad to hear you made it back in one piece.

Congats John on your first one. They are always special
wink.gif
Might want to add a little handheld gps to the equipment list
biggrin.gif

Happy trails

Sounds like quite the experience all the way around. Glad you got your deer and glad you got found too.
wink.gif

Hey BUD, that is a good story. JSut think, It only gets Worse from here... the "deer Bug" you caught I mean
wink.gif
hump.gif

Kudos !!!!!

Back