Yeti GOBOX Collection

First aid/fire start

lumbergreg

This time of year I can't help go through my gear, build new camp furniture, look at pictures, etc. So today I was updating my first aid kit I keep in my pack. It got me wondering what my fellow hunters keep in their packs, and what they keep for fire start??

Trioxane - or Ignito. I prefer trioxane to all. It is a type of military fire starter. Works like nothing I know of.

I use the old standby, a cottonball soaked in vaseline and put that into a old film container. I might have to update to some of the newer stuff one of these days.

I use the old standby, a cottonball soaked in vaseline and put that into a old film container. I might have to update to some of the newer stuff one of these days.

This or paraffin wax filled egg carton singles.

I use the cotton ball vasaline thing as tinder and carry a small bic lighter and a mag fire stick

Trioxane - or Ignito. I prefer trioxane to all. It is a type of military fire starter. Works like nothing I know of.

Agree with the trioxane.

When things are "Really tough", as is plumb soaked, windier than hell or whatever, I carry a railroad flare at all times. These things are a no brainer, have their own built in striker to light, shoot out a torch like flame for 15 min and if they won't light it - then nothing will. Usually use when I've waited WAY TO LONG to start a fire or when I'm shaking so bad I can't even strike a match.

Cotton balls keep them dry, but always have hand sanitizer that doubles as a firestarter. Not much makes it on my list that doesn't have at least 2 purposes.

Like all my 'worst case'survival gear, I carry it on my person at all times. There are a million ways to get separated from your pack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back