Fire vs. High End Clothing

JoltnJoe

In this age of $200+ jackets (puffys, softshells, raingear etc.) and $150 pants, does anyone have a hack to keep fire cinders from burning holes in your stuff??? First world problem I know, but curiosity and gear upkeep OCD has gotten the best of me....

I wish I could tell you. About every piece of clothing I have has an ember hole in it somewhere. My Sitka Ascent pants paid a dear price during my spring bear hunt this year. I think it's just part of life. Your options are:

1) Don't build a fire and freeze your ass off
2) Build a fire and strip naked
3) Build a fire and change clothes (not really practical on a backpack hunt)
4) Build a fire and catch the embers in your hands
5) Build a fire and replace pants when they look like you've been quail hunting with Dick Cheney.

I wish I could tell you. About every piece of clothing I have has an ember hole in it somewhere. My Sitka Ascent pants paid a dear price during my spring bear hunt this year. I think it's just part of life. Your options are:

1) Don't build a fire and freeze your ass off
2) Build a fire and strip naked
3) Build a fire and change clothes (not really practical on a backpack hunt)
4) Build a fire and catch the embers in your hands
5) Build a fire and replace pants when they look like you've been quail hunting with Dick Cheney.
So the good news is I got options!

I buy hunting clothes knowing that they will get blemished through use. You are sometimes in harsh extremes of mud, rain, fire, ice, snow, brush, etc. Things get torn and you find holes and marks here and there. My hunting coveralls have a blood stain that has never washed out. I personally don't care about appearance or that in the field, but instead focus on what functions the best. A lot of times, that is not high end clothing.

Just accept that it's gonna happen. New things never stay new if you're using them and these garments will work all the same(rain gear excluded) with a burn hole or 3.

One of the reasons I generally wear army surplus fatigues. I think most of these modern hunting clothing "systems" are ovrrrated, but I realize that's not what this thread is about, so I'll just stop there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back