Fire evac questions..

C17loadclear

Hey guys,

With this year being an especially bad fire season I thought I would see how everyone is preparing.

We are gonna put a go bag with essential cloths and meds near the guns and important paperwork. This would be the “ya gotta go now with no warning” stuff.

Also, I am curious on your mindset as far as when to evac ( assuming you have time) or if you decide to stay and battle it.

If we have time I obviously would load the truck to the max with things like my mounts, shadow box from retirement, pics, ect...

Thanks and let’s hope for the best

Todd

You’re not going to outrun a fire. Best bet is to constantly watch the reports and get out well before you need to if things are popping up around you. Also, InReach is you’re friend in these types of situations. Letting first responders know where you are when shit hits the fan will be far more helpful than trying to outrun a wildfire.

Many areas also have subscription based alerting systems. Do some checking on the area you will be hunting to see if this is offered. The area I have property in and hunt in MT has this.

The average land owner's ability to fight fire is extremely limited, especially in any kind of extreme event. I've seen houses burned down inside a mile buffer of irrigated orchard, seen fire spot over a mile across the Columbia River, if the wind is ripping there's not much to be done but run.

Fight it before it comes by practicing good fuel management on your property, proper storage of fire wood etc., and fireproofing eaves, cracks etc. on buildings. Good resources and checklists on the web.

Every event is different though, I've had 3 fires within 1/4 mile of me in last 10 years one of which burned 3/4 of my property (no structures) and didn't actually evac for those, but have evacuated for others that were bigger and less predictable.

Last year during the Mullen Fire here in Southeast Wyoming the Incident command and the sheriffs department were working together. The Sheriff put community areas on PreEvac notice. The day the Evacuation came the Sheriff and deputies were knocking on doors telling people of the Evacuation order. I think only 4 houses in our little mountain community had people that stayed behind.

When we were out on PreEvac essentially the night before we had the trucks and trailers loaded with the valuables we wanted to take. The power and gas will be turned off by the firefighters as they come and start doing fire mitigation on the property’s. That is if they can depending on the fire.

A few years prior the Badger Creek fire again South East Wyoming , started and was on top of many mountain communities. Thanks to the volunteer firefighters and the local forest service loss was minimal.

Just be ready to go. Get the sentimental stuff and valuable stuff you don’t want to replace. Insurance will take care of the rest (assuming you have it). A lot of people that lost houses or out buildings in Mullen Fire didn’t have insurance.

Good luck. Scariest 24 hours.

The photo was out of my master bedroom window

Attachments

• 53752E3E-A6EB-4523-A168-8CB90E1A48F8.jpeg
    53752E3E-A6EB-4523-A168-8CB90E1A48F8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
We had a wild fire go through our community in 2011. It burned 70+ homes.
I exceeded the speed limit getting home to remove guns and a few personal belongings before the head of the fire hit.
The space around my home and it being in a low area saved my house. Of the 13 house on my road only three made it.
It was so hot at my neighbors the plastics and candles melted in the home- a sheriff pushed a burning deck away from her house to save it.

not only defensible space but remove as much flammable as you can.
Wooden decks are a fuse for the fire.

One piece of advice I received from a Forest Service person on this forum was to “look up” if you’re ever in a serious wildfire situation. Hunters are often at or near tree line, and getting above tree line is often a safer alternative than trying to get out of an area. Combine that with InReach and aerial evac logistics, it makes sense.

They say the three Ps- people, pets, paperwork.

Personally, I think it’s usually misguided to stay and fight fire. It is true that folks who do are often successful, and it is also true that some times they get burned over and die. That, or they realize they are in over their heads and they try and drive out too late and they die. Read about many of the fatalities in the paradise fire of California.

Firefighters in trucks with 3000 gallons of water and a pump that works have been burned over. It’s amazing how ineffectual water is when the wind is blowing. If you’re counting on your well, there’s a fair chance the power goes out and it no longer pumps beyond the pressure tank. If you’re counting on a pump running off a generator of your own, just know that pumps fail often, particularly those that are only fired up once or twice a year. To each their own. Just 3 hours ago, I evacuated someone today who was camping up a drainage just south of me a few miles in which a fire started this afternoon. Had they given me pushback, I would’ve just let it be.

Great advice above to prep your house ahead of time. Defensible space, no vegetation up against the house, close all your windows, etc.

If I get evacuated, and I have been before in life, my wife will likely be alone with our children because I am a fire fighter and will likely be fighting the fire or working to evacuate others. I have told her to grab my moose mount, my side-by-side, the kids, and the dog. Maybe but not really in that order.

Last edited:
Had a house fire last year, luckily didn't lose too much stuff, but really makes you think about what's important in your house.

For me it wasn't a whole lot that I would really be upset about. But here's stuff I'd focus on in the future:

Sentimental items, pictures/hand me downs/old family photos without back ups etc.

Computer back up drive

With extra time, guns, hunting gear, bow etc.

Like I said, if I did it again with the fire, I'd let it all burn over risking my safety. Shit is replaceable, you aren't. You hear that a lot, but if you have good insurance you find out that really is true.

I also keep most important to me things in my safe which I positioned in a spot to optimize its chance of survival.

Side note, do a quick inventory of your house for insurance needs later. Walking through with video running and opening up everything up to give you an idea what you own is huge in the event of a partial loss.

Thanks guys..yeah I have no intention of trying to fight the fire..my neighbor said he is gonna stay.

We have insurance and had cut back the trees this past spring.

Thanks for the advice

In the last 5 years we have been evacuated twice. The first time we were not home and could not get back to the house to get anything. We simply had what we had in my wife's car. We got back home 6 days later and everything was fine except some spoiled food. The first fire erupted quick and nobody had any warning in my area.
Last year we were ready. The fire took a few days before it turned towards us. I had the travel trailer hooked up and ready a day in advance. My wife had her car loaded with the things she cared about and of course everything I could think of was in the trailer. We did not go to bed on the night we thought it could happen and at 3 AM we got the notice. The roads were a nightmare but we made it out OK. The one thing we had not discussed was where we were headed. At the last minute I yelled to go to the church parking lot which is 25 miles away. That is now our meeting place if this ever happens again. Once again our house was fine and we only had to stay away one day.

I cannot tell you what you should take beyond some obvious things regarding legal documents and computer info. I think everyone is different. My wife for example only took a couple of pictures off the walls. She figured she could get more from relatives. I took the most valuable things I had or the hardest to replace.

We watched the smoke. But had the this will never happen to me attitude. Then it did.
We lost pretty much everything. Forest fires can move fast. The one that burned our home became large enough to create its own wether and 50 plus mile an hour winds that throw huge fireballs made from the tree tops. Dark because the smoke was so thick it drowned out the sun. I somehow thought I could help to keep our home n everything we owned safe fighting this fire. I was wrong.
Best thing we could have done is video everything we own. We didn't have insurance as we built out of pocket to avoid debt. I never thought it could happen to me and I was way wrong.
I spent my first year in AK fighting forest fires. So should have known better.

Hey guys,

With this year being an especially bad fire season I thought I would see how everyone is preparing.

We are gonna put a go bag with essential cloths and meds near the guns and important paperwork. This would be the “ya gotta go now with no warning” stuff.

Also, I am curious on your mindset as far as when to evac ( assuming you have time) or if you decide to stay and battle it.

If we have time I obviously would load the truck to the max with things like my mounts, shadow box from retirement, pics, ect...

Thanks and let’s hope for the best

Todd
I shoulda added, double checking your insurance policy is a great idea.

I learned that $100K of personal property protection is usually enough for a 2bdrm house from my adjuster. More or less depending on what quality stuff you buy etc.

I had $70k and maxed that out in my minor fire. Redid insurance after rebuilding, $150k. it's cheap and when you need it you'll be thankful

My travel trailer is always loaded with food, bedding and whatnot. If I have to bugout, all I have to do is open the safe and grab the folders with the important stuff, and grab the guns and go. If I have more time, I'll grab dome of the more sentimental stuff, but the rest of it, well, it can be replaced.

The average land owner's ability to fight fire is extremely limited, especially in any kind of extreme event. I've seen houses burned down inside a mile buffer of irrigated orchard, seen fire spot over a mile across the Columbia River, if the wind is ripping there's not much to be done but run.

Fight it before it comes by practicing good fuel management on your property, proper storage of fire wood etc., and fireproofing eaves, cracks etc. on buildings. Good resources and checklists on the web.

Every event is different though, I've had 3 fires within 1/4 mile of me in last 10 years one of which burned 3/4 of my property (no structures) and didn't actually evac for those, but have evacuated for others that were bigger and less predictable.
Yep. I’m up in Alaska guiding, better half is keeping an eye on things in Union county. No one has ever seen that part of Oregon that dry, lightning but no rain tonight, getting worried. We’ve, well she has had the horse trailer loaded for about two weeks. Insurance riders paid up, as much fire proofing done as possible. Fingers crossed for now.

Yep. I’m up in Alaska guiding, better half is keeping an eye on things in Union county. No one has ever seen that part of Oregon that dry, lightning but no rain tonight, getting worried. We’ve, well she has had the horse trailer loaded for about two weeks. Insurance riders paid up, as much fire proofing done as possible. Fingers crossed for now.
That's gotta be a stressful situation for both of you, I get stressed out just leaving for a few days. Sounds like your wife knows the drill, best of luck to you and everyone else, we're hoping for rain tonight and tomorrow and not just lightning.

Second day of scattered showers here in central OR... nice to see the ground wet and the thunder/lightning as yet has been minimal!👍🏻

That's gotta be a stressful situation for both of you, I get stressed out just leaving for a few days. Sounds like your wife knows the drill, best of luck to you and everyone else, we're hoping for rain tonight and tomorrow and not just lightning.
Talked to her twice today. 0500 Pacific it was 80 degrees, windy with lightning in the forcast for this evening. Talked just now, sprinkling and 72👍

Talked to her twice today. 0500 Pacific it was 80 degrees, windy with lightning in the forcast for this evening. Talked just now, sprinkling and 72

Back