PEAX Equipment

Fin's 2016 Elk Strategy

Well Colorado deer backdoor is open now, so elk will be next, perhaps 5/24. Guess we'll find out soon if either of us got lucky for a unit 61 archery tag. I'd be pleased if even just one or two tags drop down to the 19 point pool. Kind of expecting none will.

The 2016 draw statistics are published. Haha well, as I suspected, only 2 of 36 applicants in the 19 point pool drew this tag. So that was only a 5% chance.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Elk/2016ElkDrawRecap.pdf

No limited entry elk tags for me. Tried but that is the way the ping pong ball bounces. Had to stop archery hunting four years ago so that shrunk my odds on hunts that have few tags which is what I target since like to have some quiet when on a hunt.

I think I was very lucky this year on my draws. Got 3 pronghorn buck limited entry tags (NV, OR and WY) plus ID bull moose and NM mule deer in the 6% NR pool. And a turkey tag. The WY tag was the only one with better than 10% odds. First time with a moose tag and that hunt is getting the bulk of my planning.

Look forward to seeing pictures of elk you guys get this fall!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back