PEAX Equipment

Finaly found some one

hntrjohn

I finally found some one who hunts big game with dogs around me. I found a few coon hunters before that was it. Going out with the guy at the end of the week.

John

THats Kool John!!! When da ya want me to ship your pup out to ya?:D:D We can keep it here till hunting season too if ya want to do it that way. No hurry, but sometimes people want them right when they are weaned. Let me know. bcat

Good for you HntrJohn. Finding someone with experience,that is willing to take you, is the best way to learn about any type of hound hunting.In my book anyway.What type of running are you going to do?
Where I live it is hard to find people that want to get involved with hound hunting.It is a ton of work and can be very exspensive and time consuming.I have found 2 or 3 younger(I am 40) guys that I have gotten hooked in the last couple years.Going with someone that has everything for equipment and dogs when you are starting out will be a big plus for you.Dont be afraid to offer a couple bucks for gas money or to buy a lunch once in a while.Helping them with the dogs is a big friend maker too.
I started a young guy 3 years ago with me.In fact he was a client who shot a bear with my dogs.He was hooked.He has been on 8 or 10 kills and a bunch of trees during training season.The 2 guys that started with me last year saw several bears and a couple kills.They are really hooked now.Nothing grabs you like success!!!It is easy to get discouraged starting out on your own.They dont own hounds but love helping with mine which works out perfect for us.I am trying to work in another young helper (Miller 27) this year.We killed coyotes about every time he went last year.I'll let you guys know how he is doing after i get him on a couple bear trees !!!Normally I dont have much faith in people that like that silly golf game but he seems worth giving a chance to.LOL I have to give him credit for one thing already.He builds a hell of a kennel.!!!
Good luck Hntrjohn.Let us know how you make out.Your pup should be old enough to get some experience this year so that will keep your interest up.

George P sounds like you have the best of both worlds. You get to hunt alot and have good friends to help you. Couldn't ask for more than that. The thrill of watching your dogs do a good job and having good friends to help is absolutely the best.

Doug,
I might want to get the dog before fall. I might make a banzi run to WY and pick it up, or fly it out. About 3 years ago wife bought a dog while in Portland. Shipped out on a plane for $100 bill. That is not to bad.

So how did the dog come back?

John

You are right BullHunter,it works out great.The only thing that stinks is when I want to go and cant find someone to go along.When people own their own dogs they are way more motivated to go run.It is great that my dogs get a lot more work than if I was hunting with a group of hound owners.Then everyone wants to make sure their dogs get in and when you can only run 4 or 6 in a pack some get left in the truck.Good and bad with both I suppose.
One thing i have found in recent years is i dont like a big caravan of vehicles when i bear hunt.2 or 3 vehicles tops is right with me.Their is a big group of guys that hunt together around here.They are mostly a decent group of guys and they take a bunch of bears.Sometimes they will have as many as 10 vehicles all hunting together.that is way too much for me.It certainly leaves a bad impression on non houndsmen.To each their own I always say but as for me a small group of good friends with all the dogs running is the way i like it.What do you have for dogs BullHunter??

John--I gave Jason first pick, and he will be here this weekend, so as soon as he picks, I will know which sex it is.:D:D You are gonna have fun John, and I am glad ya got someone to get ya started out there. Youll have a whole pack tied up out under the trees before ya know it.:D bcat

I went out on a training run with the guy I met. It was real hot and the gogs were having a litlle trouble loosing, then finding the scent. Then one of his young dogs did not come back. So we spent alot of time hunting for the dog. The colar on her was not working right because we could not get a good signal. Fialy got the dog after going up and down the dirt roads for 6 hours. But all in all had a good time listening to the dogs.

John

Sometimes it goes like that John, its good that you got out though. Is there coon in your area??? (I dont mean the two legged kind) ;) Hunting coon is a little easier and less time consuming than bear, You still get to see the dogs work and its almost as much fun......;...6 hours driving on dirt roads....Whew!!......Been there, done that!

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back