Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Finally....

mtnboy

Well boys, after a couple months of coughing up lungs, pickin' ticks, crawin' through weeds, bargaining with the wife, and taking pics of the ones that got away.....I FINALLY took a shot with my bow at a little furball!!
biggrin.gif

He looked a little bigger than a placemat, but it's hard to focus while you're chittin' your pants!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

Well, after 1 hour of sleep and replaying the shot over and over while I listened to the storm wash away the blood trail, I headed back at first light...it was still dumping buckets as light broke and I headed into the dark, thick cedars.... I wasn't looking forward to bumping the TAZMANIAN from under a tree, as I'm sure he'd tear me a new a$$...I finally found him 200 yards into the forest just past a swampy landing wedged between two trees. I was relieved I'd found him and it was finally over.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

He is a short fat old man with a big head(about 8 years old - molars almost worn down) He squares about 6 feet and just greens in P&Y at 18.25 inches. I have a new found respect for BEARS!

taz-fang.jpg

taz-1.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-25-2003 11:08: Message edited by: mtnboy ]</font>

Saw him.......stalked him.....stuck him.

I've been damn busy, but here's the BOOK - warning - it's loooong...

On the way to the opening party for my buddy’s first annual 3D archery shoot, I stopped by my favourite bear hunting grounds that I’d stomped through a dozen or so times this year. The season is getting short and the bears are wandering further into their territories as the mountaintop forests green up. Bear sightings are getting rare, but I’ve seen a couple of some bruisers out cruising for a piece of tail, so the stakes are high…A crisp wind blew announcing the approaching storm and I had a feeling the break from the heat would bring the animals out…

About a mile from the truck and hadn’t seen a hair, but I had a good feeling as I neared the crest of a roll that looks into a lush draw of the main drainage at the end of a small mountain lake. Although it seems like the perfect spot, I had never seen a bear there, until now. A big brown ball fed in the long grass just above the creek. I immediately knew it was a SHOOTER (even with the gun), as I found a rest on the crest about 200 yards above him. I watched him for a minute through the binos as he swaggered through the long grass down towards the creek. He was a beautiful cinnamon brown with a blondish hump, and had to look hard to ensure it wasn’t a grizz. (he was easily over 6’ with a big head - 19”+) With the wind in my face and the creek’s noise, I couldn’t have asked for a better setup.

I crept down through the edge of the forest keeping my eye on him. When he got down to the creek, I made a run for the knoll 30 yards above him. I couldn’t believe that I made it and my heart started to pound. I knocked an arrow and crawled up with my rifle in one hand. It was iiintense as I peered over the crest….there’s his hump – 18 yards downhill….just as I put the rifle down…up jerks his head and he stairs right at me……ffffffffff!…he bolts 20 yards across the creek as I shoulder my rifle….he stands up to see what has spoiled his meal at the salad bar…but I’m mezmerized by a perfect white V on his chest - the only one I’ve seen on a bear, EVER. He bolt for the forest edge 50 yards away as I track him in my scope, but he doesn’t stop for my shouts…I guess that’s why he’s BIG!!!…oh well, not his time yet…
tongue.gif

A little bummed, but I had a good feeling about the storm and the night, so I headed up the other side. 10 minutes later, I approach the edge of a clear cut, where I’d seen a decent black the week before. I catch a flicker of black in the bushes of the ditch 100 yards ahead. Up go the bino’s and I’m looking at the swaggering ass of a mature blackie. I wanted a brown, but if he’s decent, I’d take a black with my bow. I’ve still got the wind so I quickly close the gap as he feeds up on the bank above the road. At 35 yards he decides to cross the road and I jump into the ditch just in time. He feeds up and behind a 10’ berm of dirt – I know I’m going to get a shot. I run up to the berm and knock an arrow and put the rifle down…I’m psyched as I step out from behind the birm……he’s feeding uphill at 20 yards, but I’m looking straight at his ass….I draw and take a few steps to try and find the angle……he turns and and my autopilot kicked in…

I remember the solid THWACK as the arrow penetrated his ribs and hit BONE! Instantly with a ROAR that filled my pants, he turned TASMANIAN DEVIL...he wheeled around in a FURY trying to bite his attacker…dirt flew as he spun with power and speed that I’ve never even imagined....I ran for my gun 15 yards back and when I turned with it he was gone…WHEW....

I listened as he crashed into the cedar forest...he slowed down after about 60 yards. I went back to the spot he tore up the ground and found the top 1/3 of the arrow snapped off....I marked a few specs of blood in the grass at the edge of the forest...but the storm would soon be here and they would be gone... I left him to bed
.....the image of MOUNTAIN TAZ in my head.
eek.gif
eek.gif

Here's the Cinnamon's cousin:
brown-03-bigred-ass1.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-25-2003 09:37: Message edited by: mtnboy ]</font>

THATS WHAT I'm Talking about DEAN !!!!! Kudos on the Bear, After the HArd year that I know you put in, With all the efforts and time Afield, A awsome last hour bear for you !!!! Kudos man, I'm Jacked for ya !!

Are you doinog anythiung with the hide ? LIKe a rug or 1/2 body ?

Great Bear, Great Story, Great Effort, and Great Pictures.

There is nothing like having to poke around in thick cover, trying to find a big wounded bear, not knowing if he is dead or alive. I have tons of respect for the Guides of Grizzl's or the PH's in Africa who have to go in after everything.

Congratulations again, and thanks for the story.

Way to stick with it. Obviously your efforts paid off big time.

Thanks for the pics and the story.

Thanks boys! It's cool when you bust your ass and things work out in the end...havin' a site like this and reading your stories keeps me pumped and going back!

Moosie - I'm thinking of a half body mount like yours. I'm gonna have to build a new house to hang it though...

Check this painting out (by Des McCaffrey) http://www.desmccaffrey.com/hunters.html

bear-painting1.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-26-2003 17:15: Message edited by: mtnboy ]</font>

I like the way that ol'boy's tuskers are hanging out in the first pic...Congratulations on a great bear...
biggrin.gif

Back