Finally some action

Jim G

I have caught the bear bug and been at it more than I should. Hunted north Id 2 separate times (early april and mid may) with out even seeing a bear. I had pretty much given up. Decided to take the family (Wife and 3 kids) camping for the memorial day weekend to central Id. Went for a drive and what do you know, saw 1st bear running up a hill at 400 yds. I was so shocked to actually see one I couldn't even think about getting the rifle out. So we drive down the road another mile or so and what do you know, another bear about a 1/4 mile away in a steep chute meandering around. Thought about trying to get on it, but after a few minutes of watching, she had 2 cubs with her. I decided this should be a good place to put a couple of baits. Set out bait Sat. Sun 6 inches of snow covered everything and no hits. Went up the following sunday, and both baits had been hit. By what, I couldn't tell, but something had been there. Re-set the baits. Came back this last weekend and both baits had been hit again, this time I could find bear s%*t and tracks at both. None of the tracks looked to be real big but we will see. I set up a trail camera at 1 of the baits so hopefully I will get some pics next week of what is hitting. I am planning on sitting the baits this weekend and hope they will keep coming. I live 300 miles from the baits and it is killing me not to be able to sit them and costing me a few bucks to keep after them.

What do you guys think the odds are of any of the bears not being rubbed this late in the year? It is at about 8000 ft in elevation if this makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back