PEAX Equipment

Filmore oak creek

muleguy

Anyone hunted this area. Looking for primitive camp spot and what to expect in August.
any help greatly appreciated-
Joe from Montana

In August, expect HOT and steep!!! Much of that area is BLM, so you can camp about where ever you'd like as I don't know of any restrictions on camping in the Oak Creeks. If you decide to call the Fillmore BLM office, the Field Office Manager knows that area very well and is a great guy (I used to work for him).

Thanks 1point,
I would assume finding a shade tree would be a priority, I'll give blm a call. I was wondering about deer movement to and from the crop circles down on the private.
Thanks
joe

Finding shade can be a bit tough in that country as junipers are the most condusive. I'd look high that time of year for bucks. In the time, albeit limited, I've spent in that units I haven't seen large numbers of deer on the farm fields until winter. I think they'll forgo that feed for the cooler temps and less bugs up high. Much of the northern part of that unit burnt in the '90s, so if you can get high enough you can see for a LONG ways.

Thanks 1pointer,
I haden't thought about the bugs etc. I'm looking at google now and as you said no trees in sight. Looks like tarp time to me.
Have a good evening.

My uncle owns a farm down there and has a few deer and elk come down off the oak creeks to feed on his hay. Those deer get a LOT of pressure as they cross into the general season boundary in order to get to the feed. There is always a good buck or two crossing back and forth but the majority of your deer will be up high that time of year. Find some water, that place is dry and rocky and there is not a lot of water sources up high.

Thanks Coalminer for the advice,
I'm thinking it's probably good advice since you are the 4th person that has suggested to look high.
I will be hunting east of oak city, it's just hard to ignore those green crop circles in all that brown.

Yeah I hear you those alfalfa fields do pull a good buck down out of the hills once in a while but you will find better densities up high. Post up some cameras on water and you will find some good bucks...Good luck!

Back