Field judging with a second focal plane scope?

Jon.Breitbach

So, I am NOT a scope expert but a few years back I saw mention that judging a Yukon moose with a mil-dot system was possible (to identify a 50” moose for a non-resident). Would judging like that require a second focal plane scope? And would it even be practical?
Reason I ask is I’m am in the Market for a new scope for a new rifle I picked up.

You could use a first or second focal plane scope, with either a moa or mil reticle. Obviously the first would be accurate at any power where as the second would only be accurate at whatever power corresponds with the reticle being accurate, usually max magnification but not always for every brand. Assuming you know the distance to the animal or how to distance the animal based on a known size (probably less accurate with a moose) of the animal you could pretty accurately determine antler width assuming the animal was still long enough. We started using mil scopes and spotters to size bears and it’s saved me from shooting a dink along with hiking up the side of a cliff to find out the thing is 3ft tall.

I recall being out hunting one time and some guy up on a hill was checking me out with the scope on his rifle. Not a good thing.

You could use a first or second focal plane scope, with either a moa or mil reticle. Obviously the first would be accurate at any power where as the second would only be accurate at whatever power corresponds with the reticle being accurate, usually max magnification but not always for every brand. Assuming you know the distance to the animal or how to distance the animal based on a known size (probably less accurate with a moose) of the animal you could pretty accurately determine antler width assuming the animal was still long enough. We started using mil scopes and spotters to size bears and it’s saved me from shooting a dink along with hiking up the side of a cliff to find out the thing is 3ft tall.
This^^^^ due to the FFP reticle stay proportional as you change magnification. I have just started to use MILRAD as well and once I got a little handle on it it has become very logical to me. A "dope" sheet for your load and adjustments are quick.

I recall being out hunting one time and some guy up on a hill was checking me out with the scope on his rifle. Not a good thing.

Especially if your a tall guy, always better to be a short guy than a tall guy if your getting milled.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back