Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Federal Nickel-Plated Brass

Dougfirtree

Any of you ever reload with it? I have a ton of it. Is there anything different about it that would alter the process?

yup...threw it all out because it flaked off and scratched my 300wsm dies.

Really isn't that bad (I got careless and missed a bad one) especially if you already have a bunch of it. It has a shorter life than regular brass as it is more brittle.

Sizing and load development are the same. Be sure to check your necks

I’m not a fan of Federal brass at all.

I don’t like nickel plated brass.

Put them together and I would only use them for less-than-max loads.

I don't see any reason that they wouldn't work fine. I've reloaded some Federal nickel plated brass and it has worked just fine for my brother. I think the upside is that it doesn't tarnish like brass and it slides a bit easier into the chamber than regular brass. And you can't argue about it looking cool!

However, I ran into some Winchester nickel brass and it has given me nothing but trouble. Whatever factory load they came from crimped the heck out of the necks so they were nearly impossible to get to feed correctly.

I have a handful of fed nickle- plated 7-08 brass. 20 or so. Granted I've only loaded them a couple times, and only for plinking around, but I haven't seen any problems with them yet.

I have a couple hundred in .222Rem. Unusually consistent neck thickness. Has been excellent. Use only for mild loads as it’s pretty soft.

There’s a ton of Misinformation regarding pretty much anything to do with reloading. You CAN reload nickel plated brass, slightly less life, but If you get a couple loads out of them, who cares?
If you ask this on other forums some folks will tell you everything from nickel plated brass messing up dies to guns to Mideast Peace Talks and all in between. Most of the other forums will also tell you false info like “the .264 Win Mag will burns out barrels in 20 rounds” or “the 7mm Mag is the perfect elk caliber, but the .280 Remington couldn’t kill an elk at 10 yards”
Logic, reason, and intelligence are lacking in many of the reloading and shooting forums.
JMO

I don't see any reason that they wouldn't work fine. I've reloaded some Federal nickel plated brass and it has worked just fine for my brother. I think the upside is that it doesn't tarnish like brass and it slides a bit easier into the chamber than regular brass. And you can't argue about it looking cool!

However, I ran into some Winchester nickel brass and it has given me nothing but trouble. Whatever factory load they came from crimped the heck out of the necks so they were nearly impossible to get to feed correctly.

Also slides out of your pinkies easier when trying to load the magazine too.

In my original BAR (7 Mag) the feed was finicky. Small base dies were critical. It had to be clean and just the right amount of oil ( a light film). I only found nickel plated brass once and it made the jamming go away. My newer BARs have never had that problem but I have never found a source of nickel plated brass since. I would probably buy another 50 if I could find them.

In my original BAR (7 Mag) the feed was finicky. Small base dies were critical. It had to be clean and just the right amount of oil ( a light film). I only found nickel plated brass once and it made the jamming go away. My newer BARs have never had that problem but I have never found a source of nickel plated brass since. I would probably buy another 50 if I could find them.

Ask and ye shall be given.
60 once fired cases.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864708037

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back