Yeti GOBOX Collection

Favorite Tree?

The money tree.

Honestly it would be a tree none of us have ever laid eyes on; A fully mature American Chestnut. I’m sure it was a sight to see with its canopy covering a full acre and seeing nothing but chestnuts as far as the eye can see. We can sure screw things up!
The ground those monster chestnut grew on is now managed primarily for oak and the last 80 years is sorta telling us that oaks don't do as well on those sites as the chestnut did before Cryphonectria parasitica arrived in the USA

We bought our farm 30 years ago this Labor Day and I’ve been planting 20-50 trees from the second year on. I love all the old large trees of most species. I plant red,black,white and pin oaks mostly but also apple and Chinese chestnut along with some Norway spruce.it’s really cool to look at some of the ones that are 25-28 years old and producing a mast crop and know I planted it when it was just a twig.one thing on my short bucket list is to go and see the redwoods.maybe someone can point me to the best place for redwood sightseeing ( not looking for honey holes 🤣) and remember keep planting trees even if you will never be around to sit under it’s shade.

We bought our farm 30 years ago this Labor Day and I’ve been planting 20-50 trees from the second year on. I love all the old large trees of most species. I plant red,black,white and pin oaks mostly but also apple and Chinese chestnut along with some Norway spruce.it’s really cool to look at some of the ones that are 25-28 years old and producing a mast crop and know I planted it when it was just a twig.one thing on my short bucket list is to go and see the redwoods.maybe someone can point me to the best place for redwood sightseeing ( not looking for honey holes 🤣) and remember keep planting trees even if you will never be around to sit under it’s shade.
Avenue of the Giants. Sherman grove. Wawona grove. Giant sequoia trees ,Sierra Nevada Mtns. Largest trees.
Prairie Creek state park, North coast CA. Julia Burns grove,Big Sur. Coast redwoods. Tallest things.

You're all just a bunch of tree huggers. I tried hugging a tree once. I was a big old Doug Fir, about 7 to 8 ft. DBH. My sister told me I had to hug so I could feel it's energy and it's soul. All I felt was cold, rough, scratchy bark that left little slivers in my arms and a glob of pitch in my beard. It was a cool old tree though. It had two separate lightning scars. I guess that's the chance you take when you hang around on a ridge for 500 years.

For those of you who have never seen a Big Leaf maple. My stick was too short to reach any of the big leaves.
big leaf.jpg

Avenue of the Giants. Sherman grove. Wawona grove. Giant sequoia trees ,Sierra Nevada Mtns. Largest trees.
Prairie Creek state park, North coast CA. Julia Burns grove,Big Sur. Coast redwoods. Tallest things.
Thanks hank I’ll do some research

American Elm trees once created huge swaths of shade for city dwellers and farmer homesteads alike. And then came Dutch Elm Disease, killing almost all of them, and stunting the growth of those that survived the disease.

American Elm trees once created huge swaths of shade for city dwellers and farmer homesteads alike. And then came Dutch Elm Disease, killing almost all of them, and stunting the growth of those that survived the disease.
During the Lewis and Clark bicentennial, along their route in the Dakotas a huge forest of dead diseased elms was observed with a single live specimen right in the middle. Tests proved it was Dutch elm disease resistant and more trees were created by grafting seedlings. These are available from nurseries. I believe they are called Lewis & Clark elm. Unfortunately, the variant seems more susceptible to elm yellows but should not be a problem if one avoids planting the trees in close proximity to each other. That disease is transmitted underground through the roots.

Bald cypress. No landscape gives me that feeling of connection to the ground than a swamp full of massive cypresses, covered in moss with knees spreading out in all directions.

I have to agree with you. I grew up fishing and hunting the blackwater rivers and swamps of S.E. North Carolina and can take you to the oldest cypress in the country and there's little else that can compare to a stand of the old giants standing vigil for 2 thousand years or greater, up to 2624 years old.

I plant trees habitually around the house. This year I planted catawba, cherry and two more white flowering crab apple.
Didn't lose anything in our July heat and dry spell, they all appear to be doing well.
I'd say my favorite tree is the sycamore, I love sitting along the creek under a big old sycamore in October as the leaves are changing hoping to knock down a wood duck or two.

I worked with a guy who bought 10 acres of worthless land. It had a couple of sickly pines, a few scrub oaks, and a lot of buck brush but that was about it. He had a vision of planting a forest of Doug Fir, so he got several dozen surplus trees from the forest service and planted them. They all died. So, the next year he did it all over again but this time he mulched, put up shade cards, and even watered them the best he could. They all died. Then one day while driving to the job site he told me that his soil was just too rocky to grow Doug Fir.

I stopped the truck and showed him something like this and told him "Clyde, it aint the rocks, it's you."
ROCK TREE.JPG

Back