Caribou Gear

favorite shotgun used for grouse

I have a 12 ga weatherby O/U that I love. I got a 20 ga weatherby for my daughter and I use it a lot too. I also have a 20 ga browning BSS side by side. I really like this gun and I hope my son will be able to use it when the time comes for him to hunt.
We have 5 species of grouse so I need lots of guns. :D

My favorite weapon for grouse is a .22 mag. I know this is not a shotgun, but if you would ever see me shoot a shotgun, you'ld be very glad i use a .22 mag...... :D

now using a 2 season old Browning 3 1/2" Goldstalker AutoLoader, with 2 3/4 #6 or #7....still trying to get used to this gun....misses are part of the FUN!! this cannon is a bit heavy, but the semi auto is worth it....real smooth shooting....just needs a little mineral oil during our sub zero hunts here in PA

RB

I use a Remington 1100Lt 20 ga. with a 23" Barrel and custom installed Briley thin wall choke tubes, either with #71/2 or # 6's. The thick cover here in Norteast Pa. you need a quick and light swinging shotgun. ;)

I use a belgian browning , sweet 16, Its a classic work of art from the earlier days of guns , I got it cheap at a garage sale and really enjoy using it when grouse hunting, Thanks for the great topic. :cool:

Blacktail Boy, What loads do you use in your 16? I have a SxS stevens 311 16 ga that I have had for 20 years. I have a fair supply of stuff to reload with but I don't see much in the line of new shells. Ron

I used to reload my shotshells , now I just do my metallic cartridges, I ran accross some good deals a couple years ago at I think payless, so I stocked up.
Remington makes the express long range
2 3/4 inch with 3 1/4 dr 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2shot . I like this one when im up in the hills hunting for Blues.
When im in the river bottoms hunting for ruffed grouse I use the winchester rabbit and squirrell . it has 2 1/2 dr with 1 oz of 6 shot . They work really well for me and Im sure they still make them . Try green supply or walter craig companys . Federal Hi Power is a really good one too I only have a few of those left and the box was lost a long time ago they are 6 shot also they are probably my favorite overall.
Try your 16 for grouse just knowing the uniqueness of the gun and gauge makes it fun. and the performance is even better.
See ya

I did take it out for ruffs a couple of years ago. I put new but pad on it and cut the stock down. I will be using it more this year. Ron

Anything with two tubes and two triggers is even better.
Just sold my Uggie and I'm hoping to up grade. Eyeing up an Elsie.
The little 20ga works fine right now.
Always looking for SxS's and Grouse :D

Back