Favorite hunting memory

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
With so many adventures in the books I would have to say my favorite was our annual family javelina hunt in Southern AZ.
My wife and I and our 2 kids and chocolate lab did this every year since my son was in diapers, and as the years rolled on they had their own tags in their pockets.
Eventually they both left the nest within 2 weeks of each other. My daughter off to college and my son to the Army.
Went back there on my own and the nostalgia about killed me.
I have favorite hunts/places that I return to year after year; Alaska, Hawaii, New Zealand. But some hunts just can't be repeated.

IMG_0835.JPG

My first deer is a tough one to beat, I’ll never forget that hunt. But I think my favorite/most memorable would be a duck hunt from this year.

We had hunter a field for geese and constantly saw ducks piling into a low spot in the adjacent field. The ducks where hitting a small spot with shin deep water. After a few weeks of trying we were able to get permission for a hunt. In 30 minutes we had a 2-man limit of mallards and a black duck.

I knew I hit a bird early in the hunt, but my buddies dog had trouble finding it and we agreed to look later. After shooting a few more mallards we knew we needed to check the decoys and grass to pick up any ducks, I took off walking towards where I thought the duck was. I saw him tucked up in some grass laying low with his head up, still very alive. I called my buddies dog over and sent her after him, she made short work of the retrieve this time. And when she turned to bring the duck back I started laughing and said “you aren’t going to believe this!”

The mallard was banded! My second band, first duck band, and my buddies dog’s first band. It was an awesome hunt that will be hard to beat in Ohio.

View attachment 185466
Love this, nice find and congrats on the jewelry!!

With so many adventures in the books I would have to say my favorite was our annual family javelina hunt in Southern AZ.
My wife and I and our 2 kids and chocolate lab did this every year since my son was in diapers, and as the years rolled on they had their own tags in their pockets.
Eventually they both left the nest within 2 weeks of each other. My daughter off to college and my son to the Army.
Went back there on my own and the nostalgia about killed me.
I have favorite hunts/places that I return to year after year; Alaska, Hawaii, New Zealand. But some hunts just can't be repeated.

View attachment 185469
That’s what it’s all about! Thanks for sharing!

Whale hunting was something my ancestors did and when it was legal to hunt them again, my first Whale hunt was special for several reasons. The hunt and festival lasted several days. Never forget it. Outside of that, most of my scary moments came from the elements more than animals. Planes and canoes at certain moments in certain weather, can create what we call "Jesus" moments. But on one hunt a white bear hurt one of my dogs and I am told I looked like that meme NoHarleyet posts sometimes of the woman "yelling and pointing her figure "

If the shoe fits and all that ;)

I've been blessed to be able to attend the whaling festival in Barrow. When folks say that the arctic is a magical land. The local people provide a large dose of that magic.
And have every right to stand proud

Back