Caribou Gear Tarp

Favorite Elk Calibers

I can go with pretty much anything from the 260 Rem on up to the 30-06 but leaving out all the magnums! Not a fan of recoil at all.

I’ve shot 7mm and 300 wsm. Same results with both. Nothing but great end results.

I figure great ELK calibers are what the hunter shoots well...shoots most other game with the same centerfire.....
Moose,blackbear,deer =.300win.mag./different loads.
but the .30-06 would work as well.
Whatever works for you.

I'm in the 300WM/WSM crowd, but as of last year I'd have a hard time not leaning to the 28 Nosler.

Well, here we are, 20 odd years later and the changes are miniscule. Looks like the old favorites are still the favorites or at least in the running and the few new commercial rounds are squeezing their way in there. I'm still shooting the same wildcat that I was shooting in 2003 so I guess those of us who choose to differ, are still different. I wonder how many of those guys are still around and how many would respond the same way? Regardless, we are still hunting elk and still complaining about not getting tags when we don't get tags.. Looks like the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Got apps in for Wyoming, New Mexico and Colorado this year.
Rifle with be a 300 Weatherby Weathermark shooting 180 TSX. Finally found a load it likes.
That or my Hoyt Axius Ultra.

I've shot nothing but a 300 WSM for elk...and pronghorn, deer, bear etc. for many years now. Love it, don't think I'll ever switch.
You know, in about 100 years or so; your 300 WSM turns into a 308 Winchester.

lol
Have a good day.

Well, here we are, 20 odd years later and the changes are miniscule. Looks like the old favorites are still the favorites or at least in the running and the few new commercial rounds are squeezing their way in there. I'm still shooting the same wildcat that I was shooting in 2003 so I guess those of us who choose to differ, are still different. I wonder how many of those guys are still around and how many would respond the same way? Regardless, we are still hunting elk and still complaining about not getting tags when we don't get tags.. Looks like the more things change, the more they remain the same.
Danr55!

Where are you at these days?

Still tearing up the roads in the Shelby?

Back