Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Favorite Backpacking Meals

t bell five layer burritos and fire sauce

they heat up in pans real nicely, and never spoil, same thing with hot and spicy mcchickens

How much extra TP do you pack?

often i don't even take tp backpacking. lot's of natural options out there. ;)

may seem like i'm trolling, but i'm not

i make calorie bomb stops at a t bell, mcd's, or chipotle before hitting the trailhead for almost any trip and always grab an extra to pack in for night number 1 - just my little special routine

after that it's the usual mix of backpacking foods, whatever is lightest and easiest usually. most often mountain house anymore

Reactions: trb
sometimes i don't even take tp backpacking. lot's of natural options out there. ;)

may seem like i'm trolling, but i'm not

i make calorie bomb stops at a t bell, mcd's, or chipotle before hitting the trailhead for almost any trip and always grab an extra to pack in for night number 1 - just my little special routine

after that it's the usual mix of backpacking foods, whatever is lightest and easiest usually. most often mountain house anymore

No judgement here, I definitely calorie load the few days before a longer backpack as well. I have absolutely appalled some families while crushing 2 Chipotle burritos in a ravenous frenzy on the way to trailheads before.

No judgement here, I definitely calorie load the few days before a longer backpack as well. I have absolutely appalled some families while crushing 2 Chipotle burritos in a ravenous frenzy on the way to trailheads before.

that Chipotle in Silverthorne is a beautiful thing

Reactions: trb
O.K..... this isn't really a meal, but I pack 1-2 candy bars today. Specifically Almond Snickers and almond joy. I know its not the pure nutrition that people talk about, but its a great pick me up in the middle of the day. The mountain house blueberry granola is probably my favorite breakfast.

Several years ago I dehydrated pasta sauce and bought a small bag of tortellini that were dehydrated. Sitting in camp waiting for everything to re-hydrate in the hot water as I opened the can of spam I notice one of the guys eyeballin my supper. He asks what I am making as he is digging into his mountain house. When I told him what it was he looks at my food and into his mountain house meal back at my stuff and says, "you are my freaking hero!" Poor guy looked like he was forced to eat snot out of a bag.

For one of my favorites I mix dehydrated refried beans, instant white rice, powdered cheddar cheese (Same stuff as in most box mac n cheese) and add dehydrated green chile bits. This all goes in either a Ziplock freezer bag or Packit Gourmet boil-in bag. I then fill a separate sandwich baggy with Fritos and store it in the freezer bag then take it out once I'm ready to prepare. Add the correct ratio of boiled water to the rice and beans (usually about 1 cup) and let sit. Once properly rehydrated (about 5 minutes) I add the fritos. Add red pepper flakes if you need more spice.

My version of Backcountry Frito Pie and is by far the most satisfying calorie packed meal I've ever had out in the woods. Screenshot_20200429-110345.png0429201106_HDR.jpgThe bag of dehydrated green chile bits is hardest to find, usually I find them at places like Natural Grocers.

Added a picture shows the Bag of Dried Green Chiles, the Cheese, and the Beans I used.

Last edited:
Breakfast two oat meal packets, Coffee Folgers Instant packs single serving
Lunch. Snickers or Tuna in a foil packet
Dinner Mountain House and I like them, Crystal Light Single serving.

Butthole sandwich...... Halirous... lots of new ideas.... some sound good... some not so good but halirous.

Peanut butter and honey on tortillas, folded into triangles, put in a gallon sized freezer bag. These pack a good energy punch. You could put bacon on them, too. Eat one or two for breakfast or before your afteroon siesta.

Just tried the Peak Refuel Granola on a recent trip and it was very good like most all their meals.

We do one dehydrated meal/day/person. My wife makes them. Taco soup, chili, turkey or meat & veggies, goulash, egg scramble, etc. If we happen to be camping near water, we'll take a few breakfasts that are dehydrated fruit, oatmeal, granola, powdered milk, and berry flavored meal replacement powder. Everything else is Cliff bars, tortilla w/ PB & Honey, protein bar/cookie, dried fruit, or trail mix. We run about 1.25lbs/day/person and 2200-2500 calories, but most importantly, not nearly as much preservatives as many store bought meals.

Spam singles are da bomb. I keep a few spares in my soft cooler that I take everywhere. But on the mountain, they are fantastic on a roll with a single pack of mustard.

I am not a foodie at all and sometimes I forget to eat while hunting (got other things on my mind) but Mountain House meals have always been very good to me. Especially their skillet breakfasts. We eat a lot of those.

Back