Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Family's first Elk Hunt.

Simeod

After 5 years of applying for Elk tags in Arizona we were finally drawn. My son for youth in unit 4A and me and my wife for late cow in unit 9.

Fortunately, we had a little time to learn the area for my sons hunt, but less than I would have liked. Did as much research on the area as I possibly could and hours on ONX. The area we decided on was away from the popular rim area. It looked good on ONX, but honestly picked it for the camping spot we had seen during our early scouting trip and the fact it would hopefully not be crowded.

20191012_151858.jpg

Started opening day well before dawn with a hike around this long meadow. There was good habitat to the East and water in the meadow.

Found lots of sign, but did not see any Elk in the morning. Winds were swirling and couldn't seem to pick a direction. Headed back to camp and decided to check other promising sites.

We found Antelope, Mule deer, and to my embarrassment, the fact that my elk calling was bad enough to call in turkey. No elk were seen. Again lots of sign, but no elk.

Back to camp 30 minutes before sun set. We pulled into camp, looked into the meadow and spotted a mature bull elk grazing in the middle of the field. We quickly moved to glass the meadow and spotted two cows grazing the edge of the field about 600 yards up the meadow. We stalked up the edge of the meadow and at 200 yards my son made a great shot and got his and our first elk.
20191023_143048.jpg

You couldn't have pried that smile off of his face. Or mine for that matter.

600 yards from camp on opening day and he had his first elk. He then helped me gut, skin and butcher it.

To make an awesome hunt even better, my neighbors and their kids were in the same unit hunting. We managed to get them a text about our success. We shared our location and 4 more kids were able to fill their tags in that meadow over the next three days.

Did a euro mount and necklace to commemorate his first Elk.

20191026_195254.jpg

Now with any luck hopefully my wife an I will be able to fill our tags in December

nice one,,always jealous of your american elk hunting grounds,,here in nz we must always look up into the sky

Last edited:
Mam that's awesome congrats! Love the mount
Thank you. My son helped do it all, to include the mount. It truly is his elk.

The fact that all the kids tagged out was incredible. My neighbor with 3 of the kids may have been cursing us though while he was processing 3 elk! The kids were all so stoked it really made it a memorable hunt for all of us. Couldn't have been prouder of my son. He was rooting for all the other kids right along with us and was super excited everytime another kid got one.

Simeod' Armed Forces?Nice cow,great of you to share your success!
Congatulations to your son! 🔥

Good on you! USCG> Ret.
Brothers Army So.Korea, State Dept./Unspec.
Az. Boys are Dirt Tough! Native? 🔥

Good on you! USCG> Ret.
Brothers Army So.Korea, State Dept./Unspec.
Az. Boys are Dirt Tough! Native? 🔥
No, moved here when I retired. The rest of my family moved here from California about 20 years ago. Got out before it really got crazy.

Nice area ,Reason I asked is Military background.Ever hunt Sandhil Cranes?
Vacationed there years ago/4th of July. Stay cool... 🔥 🔥

After 5 years of applying for Elk tags in Arizona we were finally drawn. My son for youth in unit 4A and me and my wife for late cow in unit 9.

Fortunately, we had a little time to learn the area for my sons hunt, but less than I would have liked. Did as much research on the area as I possibly could and hours on ONX. The area we decided on was away from the popular rim area. It looked good on ONX, but honestly picked it for the camping spot we had seen during our early scouting trip and the fact it would hopefully not be crowded.

View attachment 118063

Started opening day well before dawn with a hike around this long meadow. There was good habitat to the East and water in the meadow.

Found lots of sign, but did not see any Elk in the morning. Winds were swirling and couldn't seem to pick a direction. Headed back to camp and decided to check other promising sites.

We found Antelope, Mule deer, and to my embarrassment, the fact that my elk calling was bad enough to call in turkey. No elk were seen. Again lots of sign, but no elk.

Back to camp 30 minutes before sun set. We pulled into camp, looked into the meadow and spotted a mature bull elk grazing in the middle of the field. We quickly moved to glass the meadow and spotted two cows grazing the edge of the field about 600 yards up the meadow. We stalked up the edge of the meadow and at 200 yards my son made a great shot and got his and our first elk.
View attachment 118064

You couldn't have pried that smile off of his face. Or mine for that matter.

600 yards from camp on opening day and he had his first elk. He then helped me gut, skin and butcher it.

To make an awesome hunt even better, my neighbors and their kids were in the same unit hunting. We managed to get them a text about our success. We shared our location and 4 more kids were able to fill their tags in that meadow over the next three days.

Did a euro mount and necklace to commemorate his first Elk.

View attachment 118065

Now with any luck hopefully my wife an I will be able to fill our tags in December
This is such a cool way to preserve that memory! This will be cherished forever I'm sure. Nice work!

Just now looking into bird hunting. I never did shotgun hunting as a kid so never got into it. Looking to start with my son and wife just so he can try it and see if we like it. Lots of guys I work with are into it and dove and duck season are big here. Sandhill crane is something I definitely want to try.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back