Fallow buck success thanks to the Normans!

Nice Fallow.
Love watching them in the rut - can be super aggressive. Have you tried rattling them in during pre rut ?? That can get pretty exciting.

Nice Fallow.
Love watching them in the rut - can be super aggressive. Have you tried rattling them in during pre rut ?? That can get pretty exciting.
I agree, super aggressive, I haven't tried rattling them in, but I tried a mule deer call I had one year, and if it could have got to me and my mate I reckon it would have killed us, well probably not, my rifle and my mates .270 would have sorted it! :LOL:
Cheers
Richard

I agree, super aggressive, I haven't tried rattling them in, but I tried a mule deer call I had one year, and if it could have got to me and my mate I reckon it would have killed us, well probably not, my rifle and my mates .270 would have sorted it! :LOL:
Cheers
Richard
I’ve only shot them with the bow. They were the first deer species I took with the bow, so have a soft spot for them AND because they taste great :ROFLMAO:
I had a “moment” with a buck one trip. I snuck into 20 yards on a croaking buck. Purposely aimed bottom of brisket knowing he would drop at the shot. Arrow took his spine and he went down and started crawling. Another buck I didn’t see came hurtling out of the scrub and started smashing my buck while he was down. I ran into about 15 yards until my sanity kicked in. The angry buck took off pretty quick but I didn’t know if I was gunna have to shoot him as well.

The red and fallow deer are rutting hard at the moment, the red are indiginous to the UK, the Fallow were introduced to England in the 11th century by the Normans, thanks Normans!
I rang the landowner on one farm saying I might pop out for a Fallow buck, I was upset to learn that she had been very ill, and just got home after 3 weeks in hospital, for the exact same reason she found herself in there 12 months ago, she doesn’t take on enough fluids during the height of summer and things start to shut down, she is 88 years old.I always take a Sea Trout when I can, and always a bottle of Malt Whiskey at Christmas, I said to her last time ‘drink it in moderation’ quick as lightening she retorted ‘don’t tell me what to do’ with a mischievous glint in her eye!She is having good care at home now so hopefully I will be buying her a nice bottle again in a few weeks
Anyway I dropped by yesterday, I know her farm so well, and did a slow stalk into the rutting stand, no sign of deer but I could see where he had been, then I heard it’s ‘belching sound’ I looked out of the woods into the field and there he was, with does and fawns, around a dozen of the latter, and he was fired up, every time a deer wanted to go back to the woods he rounded her back up, just as well as I was in there!The wind was good but one doe started to get in line with me and I knew the game would be up soon, I couldn’t shoot him because he was skylined so I just had to wait.He then made his fatal error, he saw another doe break off, he went in hot pursuit, turned her back, and stood broadside at around 100 yards, totally safe and started to ‘belch’ again, I only have a .243 at the moment but the 100 grain did it’s job and he dropped on the spot.But he was heavy at 150lbs butchers weight and he had the thickest neck on a Fallow I had ever seen.
My mate in the game dealers is going to boil out the skull for $30 which is a good deal.
I phoned her and got her carer who said she would pass on the news, and felt sure she would be delighted I had some success.
View attachment 156958

View attachment 156959
This guy has good stories. With pictures. Everyone take note. 😆

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back