Fall Prince of Wales

Rain gear-PVC-Just a jacket, your waders will work as bottoms.
Waders-Chest or waist waders. Breathable, not neoprene. Some have boots built in, I would go with sock foot waders and add shoes of your choice.
GPS-keep it simple, your phone will work fine. You probably won't be far from the ocean.
You can rent a sat. phone and call your wife every night. You can also use it to call your pilot (if you fly in) or emergency personnel.

Waders-Chest or waist waders. Breathable, not neoprene. Some have boots built in, I would go with sock foot waders and add shoes of your choice.
GPS-keep it simple, your phone will work fine. You probably won't be far from the ocean.
You can rent a sat. phone and call your wife every night. You can also use it to call your pilot (if you fly in) or emergency personnel.
Thanks! Using my phone over a standalone GPS will definitely save some coin.

Gut shot, would you stay with the same waders recommendation for a May hunt from a boat? If I get cold toes, I'm a cranky asshole...

Can anyone share their experience hunting POW for bear in the Fall? I read a post that said the logging roads are closed during fall bear? Is that still in effect? I could not find anything in the regs about it.

Thanks!
Is there any way to see draw odds for SE AK bear hunts? I spent an hour looking at the draw hunt report but can’t for the life of me figure out how to see draw odds. Thanks!

Is there any way to see draw odds for SE AK bear hunts? I spent an hour looking at the draw hunt report but can’t for the life of me figure out how to see draw odds. Thanks!

Last page of the supplement, you can put in 6 applications for each species. I drew my first time putting in and have gotten the big goose egg last 2 application cycles.
1582648872629.png
1582648850901.png

Waders are hot .... Sept is not cold but could be very wet. Hip boots are probably worn by more Bear hunters than chest waders. Many guys use the stiff rubber waders but I have always liked the softer kind. This last time around I went with the ... https://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/collections/waders-and-hippes/products/camo-hippies ... and they work well.

Helly Hansen & Grundens are probably the most popular rainwear in Se Ak .. not the heavy commercial rubber stuff, the lighter weight stuff. Grundens Neptune has become popular ... https://grundens.com/shop/collectio...une-319-waist-jacket-kryptek-highlander-camo/

Waders are hot, unless they are cold. Sitting in an aluminum boat with wet boots (ala stocking foots) can easily be cold in May, no? - I'm a sissy of a Minnesotan/Iowan.

I was saying chest waders are hot, to me that is ... mainly when hiking the rivers and uplands in fall or even in spring. Traveling or sitting in a skiff glassing can be cold. May weather can be from one extreme to the other. Freezing rain or 70+ sunny degrees.

Seems like in recent years, with the new weather, we have had mild to warm spring and fall.

Also with the new weather it is harder to plan your clothing needs. During May the last 3 years it has been very dry and spells of very warm weather. In 2018 mid May had a week of 70 to 80 degree sunny days. May 2019 was very little rain and some hot days as well.

Also with the new weather it is harder to plan your clothing needs. During May the last 3 years it has been very dry and spells of very warm weather. In 2018 mid May had a week of 70 to 80 degree sunny days. May 2019 was very little rain and some hot days as well.

Muskeg,

What is the average temp ranges in Mid september. Say Sept 7 -20th?

I would say 60 give or take for the high temps and 50 give or take as the low temps ... Sept use to be a rainy month, not as rainy as Oct but wet. But in the last few years it has been very dry in Sept ....

Gut shot, would you stay with the same waders recommendation for a May hunt from a boat? If I get cold toes, I'm a cranky asshole...

I'm not sure, I've never been up there in the spring. One thing to consider, bears won't be on salmon in the spring. So, while you will be in and out of the water, you probably won't be wading streams for any distance and could probably use hip boots.

A couple of other things to consider:
Bugs are nasty, you will be dealing with mosquitoes, black flies, white sox and no-see-ums.
Get a tidal chart (you can pick them up locally) tides can swing almost 20 feet.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back