Exo Mountain 5500 vs MR vs Stone Glacier

I treated my MR Metcalf last fall with a spray on product by Rustoleum. Sheds water like a mallard now.

I think SG, MR, Kifaru are entirely 500d Cordura and Exo is 500d in high wear areas and 420d on the rest of the pack. Water resistance will be dependent on the DWR that's used as well.

They all have well thought out, durable designs.

I think SG, MR, Kifaru are entirely 500d Cordura and Exo is 500d in high wear areas and 420d on the rest of the pack. Water resistance will be dependent on the DWR that's used as well.

They all have well thought out, durable designs.

SG uses some amount of X-Pac combined with 500d, I am not sure when they started using it. The Kifaru Muskeg bags are primarily X-Pac

Take a look at the XPac fabric that Kifaru and SG use in some of their packs. The material is waterproof, zippers obviously aren't, but in light rain/wet snow the bag is not going to absorb moisture. This will also prevent blood from leaching into the main compartment of your pack when it is on the meat shelf.
For comparison, the main bags on seek outside packs are made entirely from xpac fabric. That fabric is amazing, super durable and waterproof.
To the OP, the seek outside lanner they just came out with should fit the bill as another mentioned. I have their goshawk with a talon compression pocket, it is an awesome pack.

For comparison, the main bags on seek outside packs are made entirely from xpac fabric. That fabric is amazing, super durable and waterproof.
To the OP, the seek outside lanner they just came out with should fit the bill as another mentioned. I have their goshawk with a talon compression pocket, it is an awesome pack.
The lanner seems to be very similar to the EXO packs and is also made in the US. I will have to do some more research but the it definitely fits the bill for what I am looking for. Thank you for the suggestion.

I treated my MR Metcalf last fall with a spray on product by Rustoleum. Sheds water like a mallard now.

I don’t want to derail the OP, but was wondering if this caused any lingering smell? I notice that frequently with many of the spray-on water repelants...

I have been researching packs and have narrowed down my top choices to the Exo Mountain 5500 pack. The top contenders were the MR Marshall and Metcalf and the Stone Glacier 6200 and 6900. I am interested to hear from those that have used the Exo 5500 and the other packs listed above to help determine if I am making the correct decision from my research. I would prefer a US made pack, outside pockets for a spotter and possibly a small tripod, and for the main pouch zipper to be on the outside edges of the pack vs down the middle of it. Any experience with this pack or others that I should be considering is appreciated. Thank you

I bought a Mystery Ranch Cabinet, not a multiple night pack, but then bought a dry bag to go in it. So... started loading it up with gear and a 40 lb sandbag for training and started walking a mile or two at night. It pinched my shoulders and made my right shoulder go numb. Called MR and verified I had the right size.... This is the Guide Light frame, same one on metcalf. So ive decided its just not the right pack. But boy is it nice. Its up for sale now and im sure it will go quick..

That being said... I bought an EXO 3500 at the hunting expo in Utah. Im pretty sure I could load that thing with 100lbs and barely notice the weight. The frame and how the weight distributes is amazing. And it has this giant roll top that expands out to like 100L or something. Kept my drybag as a bivy bag from the MR and plan to put that in between on the load straps for long trips..

The SIDE POCKETS ARE AWESOME!.... you can fit a rifle, spotting scope, fishing rods, sleeping pads, shit whatever in those side pockets... They are pretty big and cinch down great. The features of this exo pack are amazing. And though I cant say for Kifaru... Ive tried on SG as well and gotta say I love the belt on the EXO vs the SG and the MR.

The stone glacier I tried on was great too. I was just given a hell of a deal on the EXO and couldnt pass it up. Im happy as shit. Went for ruck last night with 52ish pounds and my shoulders and back feel great today.

The lanner seems to be very similar to the EXO packs and is also made in the US. I will have to do some more research but the it definitely fits the bill for what I am looking for. Thank you for the suggestion.
Check out seek outside on YouTube, they have some very good videos on their packs. Seek does quite a few little things I prefer.
1. The xpac fabric on the whole bag so no rain cover.
2. Water bottle pockets that I can actually get a water bottle in and out of while wearing it.
3. Dual 1" buckles on the waist belt so you can adjust the fit of the belt better. 1" buckles are common and I carry an extra in case I break one.
4. No side release buckles other than the waist belt, they use what they call batchelor buckles that are field replaceable.
5. Frame height is adjustable.
6. Optional lumbar pad, the belt is flat which my body prefers.

Seek outside seems like a great company as a whole. Everything I have bought from them so far has been great, plus they are big supporters of public lands and conservation.

Check out seek outside on YouTube, they have some very good videos on their packs. Seek does quite a few little things I prefer.
1. The xpac fabric on the whole bag so no rain cover.
2. Water bottle pockets that I can actually get a water bottle in and out of while wearing it.
3. Dual 1" buckles on the waist belt so you can adjust the fit of the belt better. 1" buckles are common and I carry an extra in case I break one.
4. No side release buckles other than the waist belt, they use what they call batchelor buckles that are field replaceable.
5. Frame height is adjustable.
6. Optional lumbar pad, the belt is flat which my body prefers.

Seek outside seems like a great company as a whole. Everything I have bought from them so far has been great, plus they are big supporters of public lands and conservation.
What is the seek frame made out of? I did some searching last night and was unable to determine what frame material they use.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back