Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Exo Mountain 5500 vs MR vs Stone Glacier

lr123

I have been researching packs and have narrowed down my top choices to the Exo Mountain 5500 pack. The top contenders were the MR Marshall and Metcalf and the Stone Glacier 6200 and 6900. I am interested to hear from those that have used the Exo 5500 and the other packs listed above to help determine if I am making the correct decision from my research. I would prefer a US made pack, outside pockets for a spotter and possibly a small tripod, and for the main pouch zipper to be on the outside edges of the pack vs down the middle of it. Any experience with this pack or others that I should be considering is appreciated. Thank you

What are you primarily going to use it on? As far as versatility, the metcalf has been awesome for me! Day pack to a three day trip.

Attachments

• 20181103_082542.jpg
    20181103_082542.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
I'm planning an antelope hunt this fall but we are planning to camp for the better part of a week. I want a pack that will compress down for day hunting but also have the ability to pack in large loads for 4-5+ days of hunting and camping. I plan to buy one quality pack as I'm a firm believer in buy once cry once. The only downside to the MR packs is they aren't US made. I would prefer to keep that money in the US if possible.

I understand that thinking. I went with Mystery Ranch because of their strong support of the military and firefighters.

I will use my Metcalf for antelope, deer and even goose hunting this fall. It's a great bag and will hopefully last me a long time. Good luck with your search.

I have the Exo 3500 (same layout as 5500, just smaller). I think there are a lot of great packs out there, but you definitely won't be disappointed with the Exo. Make sure to adjust the shoulder straps to the frame according to your body type and when you get it. I have a long torso which made the belt ride to high out of the box. Simple adjustment and I was good to go. The pack is really versatile, I love that it has some organization features and isn't just a big bag, but also isn't overdone with pockets everywhere.

Last edited:
I own a Metcalf because of it's reputation and I got it at a big discount. If money weren't an issue, I probably would have gone with the Exo, just because of the outside pocket features I could see being useful. That said, the Metcalf has been great so far and I have nothing negative to say about it. I don't have experience with Stone Glacier.

I run the EXO 5500 and love it. I put my spotter in one of the longer side pockets with my tripod on the other side. I put trekking poles with the tripod or in the smaller side pocket by the tripod. I really like how the front pocket is separate from the main compartment, but you can still access the main compartment from the other side. Packed my bull with it last fall and performed really well. If you get it, make sure to get the dry bag liner. It's money.

Packout  .jpg

I run the EXO 5500 and love it. I put my spotter in one of the longer side pockets with my tripod on the other side. I put trekking poles with the tripod or in the smaller side pocket by the tripod. I really like how the front pocket is separate from the main compartment, but you can still access the main compartment from the other side. Packed my bull with it last fall and performed really well. If you get it, make sure to get the dry bag liner. It's money.

View attachment 102781
This is exactly what I was planning on doing. I don’t see a reason to have to open the main pack to get to your spotter. SG even makes a specific spotter add on but I can’t see spending more money to add something I feel it should come with. I think the few people saying they love the pack have pushed me to give exo a call and get one ordered.

I use an Exo 5500 and am a fan. I think the pocket/org layout is well designed. I like how you can access the main compartment multiple ways. They also have a good podcast I’ve learned a lot from. I don’t think you will regret it.

I'm no expert, but just picked up an Exo 5500. My buddies have the 3500's and love them. I'm excited to get this thing out bear hunting.

As far as compressing down to a tidy little pack for day hunting, the Exo can't be touched. But I've also heard excellent things about the weight hauling capabilities of MR and Stone Glacier.

This is exactly what I was planning on doing. I don’t see a reason to have to open the main pack to get to your spotter. SG even makes a specific spotter add on but I can’t see spending more money to add something I feel it should come with. I think the few people saying they love the pack have pushed me to give exo a call and get one ordered.
I couldn’t agree more. Both Kifaru and Stone Glacier we’re eliminated rather early in my search, as it quickly became apparent that all the add-ons necessary for those packs to have what packs from Mystery Ranch, Seek Outside and Exo already come with would make them far more expensive. I can see why Kifaru does this as their packs would be insanely heavy if you add the weight of all the extras to an already heavy pack. But Stone Glacier would still be in the ballpark weight-wise.

I am now down to Mystery Ranch Beartooth and Seek Outside Lanner in my search, as Exo wasn’t very responsive or enthusiastic about earning my business when I contacted them.

I’m sure I’ll love whichever I end up with.

As far as compressing down to a tidy little pack for day hunting, the Exo can't be touched.

Actually out of the three SG compresses the most, although I all of them get really small so I mean... whatever

So much of packs is preference rather than one actually being that much better than each other, I have buddies who will fight anyone who says Barney’s aren’t the best packs on the mountain.

Personally I like SG the best, because it doesn’t have all the little sleeves, pockets and crap. I just want an ultralight bag with a loadshelf. I got the access bag so that occasionally in the late season I can have extra space for puffy clothes and so when I bring my camera I can have the rest of my bag strapped down tight with out have to worry about crushing the camera.

Exo seems to make good stuff, I’m sure you will be very happy with your purchase.

I couldn’t agree more. Both Kifaru and Stone Glacier we’re eliminated rather early in my search, as it quickly became apparent that all the add-ons necessary for those packs to have what packs from Mystery Ranch, Seek Outside and Exo already come with would make them far more expensive. I can see why Kifaru does this as their packs would be insanely heavy if you add the weight of all the extras to an already heavy pack. But Stone Glacier would still be in the ballpark weight-wise.

I am now down to Mystery Ranch Beartooth and Seek Outside Lanner in my search, as Exo wasn’t very responsive or enthusiastic about earning my business when I contacted them.

I’m sure I’ll love whichever I end up with.

When you say add on are you talking about a spotter pocket? There are several bags where that is built in (Sky 6900 for example)

Looking at what guides and others that spend considerable time under one, it appears Kifaru, SG or Barney’s are at the top in no particular order. Personally, I’d probably pass on a Barney’s unless I was hauling moose quarters and Peninsula brown bears for a living, which I’m not.
After that, there’s a whole bunch of packs that are very nice and will certainly do the job.
They are ALL better than the $40 pack frames we all grew up using.
I remember thinking my Kelty red cloud was the bees knees circa 2002.
I liked my Kuiu Icon more than either of the new MR Marshalls I’ve had and got rid of. It was lighter, carried weight better and retails for less.
MR makes a damn solid, if not overbuilt, pack but they just aren’t for me. There are excessive straps, webbing, pockets etc. If you like that stuff though, I wouldn’t worry about the quality from being made overseas. They really are solidly built.

Hard to beat a Kifaru. Lose the pack at camp and use the guide lid on the frame for day packs. Light and awesome! Super comfy.

Hard to beat probably any of the pack companies out there now. Ive been in your position and asked the same thing about 5 years ago. In the end it's all about you and your needs and what your really looking to get out of your pack setup. Back packs are like boots, unfortunately most of us are unable to just go try one on and see what they like and what they don't. Support and service from all of these companies is also huge when it's game time and if something fails whos gonna be able to take care of you.
I myself run a SG setup as well as my wife. Their design and thought process on all their packs to me is what separated them. The ability to run a "bivy" setup after packing in from full expansion is awesome. I thought maybe it would be too much for day hunts but turns out it's quite nice to have. Their load shelf system works awesome for packing meat and game. Plus their just an all around great bunch of people to work with.
Good luck on your decision and whatever you choose I'm sure your be happy with whatever decide on.

Last edited:
Take a look at the XPac fabric that Kifaru and SG use in some of their packs. The material is waterproof, zippers obviously aren't, but in light rain/wet snow the bag is not going to absorb moisture. This will also prevent blood from leaching into the main compartment of your pack when it is on the meat shelf.

To me this is kind of like a discussion on what boot you should buy. If you research it out and decide that Lowa is the best boot and then buy one and it doesn't fit you or your uses then it isn't the best boot for you. Same for Kennetrek, Meindl, Hanwag, Asolo, etc., etc.

I'm a fan of SG. I like their packs and mine fits me well. I like the fact that the pack is light but very durable and will haul more weight than I can. I've had a Solo 3300 for over 5 years now. I think I might buy a new 6900 bag as mine is getting a little worn and has some holes in it from sparks by the fire and barb wire.

What MinnestoaHunter mentioned is something I like about the SG, if you just get in a short downpour or something like that it sheds the rain pretty good. I've been with someone with an Eberlestock pack before and we were in about a 20 minute hard rain and a few pieces of paper in my SG got damp, he had over an inch of water in the bottom of his bag and everything in it was SOAKED.

I don't know what kind of material Exo or MR use.

Looking at what guides and others that spend considerable time under one, it appears Kifaru, SG or Barney’s are at the top in no particular order. Personally, I’d probably pass on a Barney’s unless I was hauling moose quarters and Peninsula brown bears for a living, which I’m not.

Barney's is a heck of a bag, but I'm not a huge dude and it's built to carry the weight super highup, almost on your shoulders. I'm sure on a more substantial human they would be great, but with someone my size they seem like an extremely effective pack at blowing out knees.

I've been with someone with an Eberlestock pack before and we were in about a 20 minute hard rain and a few pieces of paper in my SG got damp, he had over an inch of water in the bottom of his bag and everything in it was SOAKED.

My old eberlestock holds water like a sponge.

I think EXO uses the same material, at least mine has the same water/blood repellent properties. It makes cleaning them after a hunt sooooo much better too.

All of these packs are so much better than what we all grew up with. Hunting gear is getting so much more technical/specialized. It is awesome for hunting, not so much for the wallet! :p

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back