Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ever Had This Happen ???

George P

I have a bear bait in Maine thats about 20 miles from my house. It is an awesome bait. I have killed 5 bears with dogs from this bait in 2 years. There have always been coyotes around the bait. It is getting unreal now.
I drive down the 4 wheeler road to the bait now and the yotes start screming before the truck is stopped. Now I have heard and seen hundreds of yotes but nothing like this.I go to the bait yelling to spook them off,yah right. They stay just out of sight 40 or 50 yds away just screaming at me. I see a bear was on the bait last night so I turn whiskey out. They still havent stopped screaming and I am right with whiskey. She opens up with 2 long bawls ,cold trailing the bear.The yotes go right after her and chase her back to the truck. We SEE them do this !!! The guy with me today is a Reg Maine Guide and he cant believe it. They have zero fear of dog or human. I am yelling at them and it doesnt faze them. I am not kidding one bit. Now I have many many times had yotes on a bear bait bark at the dogs or evven come to a bear tree but nothing like this. I walk the 100 yds back to the truck and they follow me staying about 40 yds behind me barking every breath.
I put a shock collar on my Spot dog and let him go. I think he is going to chase the coyote so I give him a zap. He comes back,goes out on the bear path and starts cold trailing the bear,for sure.Those yotes stay right behind him barking every breath. He goes out ,jumps the bear and they stay with him for at least a mile before dropping out.Because of this I never got another dog to Spot.He ran for about 3 hrs on his own,never treed,finally just quit it or lost it in a big swamp.
We have our plan all set for the next time we run there.It involves 3 people and buckshot !!! Our yote season is open year round here. I had almost the same thing happen last week there.It wont happen that way again!!!!!

Wow those yotes are brave, we have yotes with the same attitude here in az. most of them are at the boat ramps, of course we cant legally shoot them..I have had them try to attack my kid while i am standing 10-15 from him cleaning out the boat... My opinion is shoot everyone you see. make a few trips just for yotes.. #4 buck in a 12 and or 20 guage is best( at least for me) theres more pellets and they travel pretty far. also a .22 rimfire with a big clip works well also..If your not having any luck use a squeeler call made by critter call and or circe. I have found the squeelers work best in areas where they are smart..also after you shoot one be ready and keep calling i have shot as many as 6 on one stand within and hour..chance's are you will have 3+ come in at one time so be ready and try to have a friend to cover you back.
Heck if I had the time and money i would come up there just to hunt yotes...

Good luck,
Delw

WOW thats pretty wild sounding, I have never seen anything like that, except maybe in the spring of the yr when theres a female around with some pups near a den, they will kinda circle ya , but never had them 40 yds away. My buddy had a coyote come into a bear tree one time and sit back about 100 yrds just barkin its head off as if it was treed too...lol Hes got it on video tape. I always shoot a yote when I get a chance, theres piles of them out here.

gatoman, I have had several come into bear trees before. But this is unreal.I mean I was yelling and waving my arms and i could see them 40 yds away right on my track. I am glad I had 2 guys with me this morning to back my story. the one thats a guide couldnt believe it. He said if he hadnt seen it himself he wouldnt have believed it.I was pretty impressed that Spot still went out coldttrailing and jumped that bear.I had a little 10 minute incident last week with him and coyotes but think he is all set now !!! Whiskey was scared to death of those yotes and came back.I would say the coyotes were about 10 or 20 yds behind her when we saw them.I just didnt dare cut anything to him today because he got out aways and the yotes were barking so much.

Hey George, Ive had coyotes ki-yi my hounds many times,and have had a few cold cat races turn into a coyote race because of it. I use to to use a decoy dog on coyotes,mainly in the summer, and have seen coyotes run the dog right up to me, I mean 10 feet from me in the open. When they have pups they can be very aggressive towards dogs,and look right through you,till you lay them low. KW

hey george,
funny we had about the same thing happin up here the other morning and we were running yotes. they ran the first dog right back out to us. but unfortunitly for the yote we opened the box up and he had 8 head of dogs run his ass back in the woods. we ended up shooting 3. but we had races going in every direction for a while. today we had another good race in the same block of woods we found two dens in there we got one but both days the coyotes we werent running never left the area and never stopped howling back at the races. but what a blast we had. got kirt getting another dog out of illinois for me. well have fun

bearbait

ps 93 baits out and 85 getting pounded !

That is unreal george!! I haven't seen or heard of anything like that. It must be getting too hot for even them to chase little critters around. They must be going for easier hand outs. I been so busy haven't been able to call or nothing. I went whitewater rafting with friends this weekend, just got back. Went downt the penobscot, pretty wild. Talk to you later.

Josh

George,
Man thats unreal. Our coyotes out here are pretty shy. Almost everyone of us rednecks carry a gun around with us :D :D The season here is " There is no season" LOL. Its an all you can shoot deal. That would be pretty wild.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back