Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

EVAP issue

Oneye

I have a 2011 Silverado 5.3 liter, and have a check engine light on due to a PO442-small EVAP leak. I have replaced the EVAP vent control solenoid, and the purge valve. I purchased a smoke machine, used that tonight and cannot see any leaks in the system. The only place it was showing smoke was the line coming from the EVAP vent valve solenoid to the fuel filler cap, I believe that is normal considering the truck is off, and the EVAP vent valve shuts when the truck checks its system correct? As I said that vent valve is brand new lines and all. I disconnected that line on the charcoal canister and checked the system. There was no smoke coming from anywhere that I saw, and I tried smoking it multiple times to be sure. So my question is where to go from here. Is it the charcoal canister? The fuel tank pressure sensor? In the system those are kind of what I’m down to considering I saw no actual leaks? Just curious what anyones thoughts are who might have any with this annoying insignificant issue that keep illuminating my check engine light.

Check your fuel cap.
The fuel cap has been changed as well, and there was no smoke coming from that area when I tested the system. I do wonder if that may be the issue of it being improperly twisted on or something from time to time. I can clear the code and it’ll go away for a month+ before returning.

Put a piece of electrical tape over the light. Simple. Easy. Effective.
Lol, this is certainly the cheapest approach. It just eats at me to look at that damn check engine light😂😂 Let alone over such a minor issue.

I have a 2011 Silverado 5.3 liter, and have a check engine light on due to a PO442-small EVAP leak. I have replaced the EVAP vent control solenoid, and the purge valve. I purchased a smoke machine, used that tonight and cannot see any leaks in the system. The only place it was showing smoke was the line coming from the EVAP vent valve solenoid to the fuel filler cap, I believe that is normal considering the truck is off, and the EVAP vent valve shuts when the truck checks its system correct? As I said that vent valve is brand new lines and all. I disconnected that line on the charcoal canister and checked the system. There was no smoke coming from anywhere that I saw, and I tried smoking it multiple times to be sure. So my question is where to go from here. Is it the charcoal canister? The fuel tank pressure sensor? In the system those are kind of what I’m down to considering I saw no actual leaks? Just curious what anyones thoughts are who might have any with this annoying insignificant issue that keep illuminating my check engine light.
My 2009 has same problem. I've replaced solenoid and valve 3x and light would go off for a month or so and back. I finally just gave up. But gosh darn it's annoying!

My 2009 has same problem. I've replaced solenoid and valve 3x and light would go off for a month or so and back. I finally just gave up. But gosh darn it's annoying!
I’m afraid I’m going to have to come to the same terms😂😂 I can’t stand that orange engine light every day!!!😂

did you put a factory gas cap on ? alot of the aftermarket,{even napa} new fuel caps are just junky brand new,,other areas ive found over the years is the solonoid on dr side front valve cover,{usual culprit} or once i found the leak at the connection at the top of the fuel tank.//your on the right track with the smoke machine though,,good luck

Had a similar thing happen on my corolla, replaced the solenoid at about 170k miles. At about 200k the check engine light would randomly pop on I would just clear the code and wouldn't show up again for 6 months to a year. 🤷‍♂️

I was wondering if it could be environmental conditions or something... definitely seems to click on when seasons change and we are getting cold nights and hot days.

I feel ya! 2004 Chevy Suburban with the same assumed issue for like 150,000 miles. Changed the canisters, caps, evap stuff, all to have the light show back up. 270,000 miles on it now so I just live with it.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back