Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ethics Question - Animal by Camp

Here at home? If it's safe to do so and on public, I would shoot. In Wyoming (not my state let alone country?), hell no!

My first year hunting Wyoming I was worried about having an altercation with anyone, especially after reading some of the threads on here about batshit crazy entitled asshats. Simply put, I'm a guest in YOUR country and would much rather avoid any confrontation, even if it means I have to pass on a big antelope. My first trip across the border, I passed on shooting an antelope because of this. I was on a small parcel of state land with an oil access road on it. As I was getting ready to shoot what I consider a big antelope for the area, I saw a tanker start making it's way onto the road. He was in no "danger" and probably would've never noticed that I had even killed an antelope in front of him but I didn't want to take any chances. I watched this truck for a few minutes drive up that road and push that antelope away. I decided to move on as I figured he would be a while in that section. I came back the following day to find the same antelope feeding around the same area and killed it.

I have been on the receiving end of this hunting in Colorado Elk hunting when by my camp every day 4-5 days I would see a 4x4 Mule Deer close by where we were camped. A Man from California shot it as he had a tag, I was coming back for lunch and talked with him, nice Guy visited with him for about 10-15 minitues.
It was less than a 1/4 mile from my tent and what he did was safe and I don't own it.
Funny thing is I never saw a Elk on that hunt but had Elk tracks in my camp most mornings and all over but you could only see about 75 to 100 yards max in the timber, even had a Bull Elk bugle about 35 yards from me but just over a steep ridge but it was all crisp aspen leaves between us. I cow called but never did see him right at sunrise.

I don't particularly want to hunt near other peoples' camps anyway, but having an angry & armed person come out of the tent I thought was empty insisting I "shot up their camp" is a situation I especially don't want to deal with.

If this is what concerns you, hunting may not be your past time.

I remember friends saying they met some people backpacking that were carrying out a sheep and when they asked about it the guys said they had hunted all day hiking around and found him standing in their camp that evening and shot.

Here at home? If it's safe to do so and on public, I would shoot. In Wyoming (not my state let alone country?), hell no!

My first year hunting Wyoming I was worried about having an altercation with anyone, especially after reading some of the threads on here about batshit crazy entitled asshats. Simply put, I'm a guest in YOUR country and would much rather avoid any confrontation, even if it means I have to pass on a big antelope. My first trip across the border, I passed on shooting an antelope because of this. I was on a small parcel of state land with an oil access road on it. As I was getting ready to shoot what I consider a big antelope for the area, I saw a tanker start making it's way onto the road. He was in no "danger" and probably would've never noticed that I had even killed an antelope in front of him but I didn't want to take any chances. I watched this truck for a few minutes drive up that road and push that antelope away. I decided to move on as I figured he would be a while in that section. I came back the following day to find the same antelope feeding around the same area and killed it.

i feel similarly just being a res or non res in the states, specificallyi in colorado versus wyoming

the area i do hunt in wyoming most often, i do know some of the landowners and have interacted with the local warden a lot and actually don't fulliy feel ilke a visitor and that helps a lot with confidence

but overall, i'm much more confident in colorado when it comes to some of the sticky unknowns, if nothing else just because i have a green license plate

Back