Established Roads

wk4036

Hey Guy's,
I was just doing some research on the walk in areas for this falls hunt and was wondering if the well worn two track roads that we run around on are considered "Established Roads"?

The walk-in areas I hunted last year had a designated road into them and a designated parking spot. The landowners mostly intend for it to truly be a walk-in area. Several of the bigger walk in areas had county roads running through them and you could park anywhere along the shoulder but beyond that they expected you to walk. Just whatever you do respect the rules so a landowner doesn’t feel the need to remove their property from the program in future years. Keep those guys happy!

Their maps aren't working right now, but check here later to see the Walk-in area you're interested in. Roads you're allowed to drive should be highlighted on the map.

Also, make sure you know the difference between a walk-in area and a hunter management area. They aren't the same thing.

Finally, when in doubt, walk. Remember that the future of private land access hinges on respecting private landowners who are willing to provide the opportunity.

Established roads are the defined 2 tracks you see, meaning well used 2 tracks not just newly made tracks where one vehicle has driven.

HMA info will be out in July, walk in areas too.

in the walk in area i was in last year,i talked with the rancher and he said all the 2 tracks were drivable,no issues,,so id recomend talking direct if posible.he even said atv,s were fine,just stay on 2 tracks

Go by the rules for the walk in or HMA, put out by G&F. Relying on a rancher might get you in trouble unless he signs your license.
The rules will state established roads or marked roads.

We hunted a Walk-in a couple years ago: did my research, located everything on my OnX, printed a map just in case, parked in the appropriate area by the signed gate, walked 1/2 mile in over a little ridge along the closed road....and wouldn’t ya know it!

Truck parked on the sagebrush, dude sound asleep in a lawn chair - 2 feet from his bumper- with a rifle across his lap. I was sorta pissed cuz laziness kinda gets under my skin, but I politely woke the guy up and asked Him if he minded us continuing on the “closed road” up over the little rise. In my mind if you’re sleeping you don’t get “dibs” on a spot.

He said he’d been sitting (sleeping) there all day and hadn’t seen anything...ha!...but we could give it a try if we wanted. Thanks.

As soon as we crested the ridge we saw 4 does bedded down. My son’s buddy proceeded to set up and kill his first antelope 500 yards from sleepy guy. My boy brings that up all the time when we hunt, saying how much it pays off to work hard and not be lazy!

Don’t be that guy!

Hey Guy's,
I was just doing some research on the walk in areas for this falls hunt and was wondering if the well worn two track roads that we run around on are considered "Established Roads"?

This is from BLM's website:
Established roads as defined by the Board, means any roads or trails which have been graded or constructed to carry vehicular traffic, or on which repeated vehicular traffic has created well defined tracks.

So according to this, well worn two tracks are considered established roads.

This is from BLM's website:
Established roads as defined by the Board, means any roads or trails which have been graded or constructed to carry vehicular traffic, or on which repeated vehicular traffic has created well defined tracks.

So according to this, well worn two tracks are considered established roads.

The BLM’s definition of a road doesn’t mean beans if the walk-in area is on private land and the landowner doesn't want you driving all over their place. Again, the OP should consult the Access Yes coordinator in the region he’s hunting. Many walk-ins have the roads signed also.

Last edited:
This is from the Wyoming G&F website. Note that it is illegal in Wyoming to shoot across any established road.

An Established Road is defined as “any road or trail which has been graded or constructed to carry motor vehicles or on which repeated motor vehicle traffic has created well-defined tracks”.

A Designated Road is defined as “only established roads marked as open by a white arrow sign”.

Last edited:
In reading the other posts in this thread, keep in mind that some national forest areas, walk in areas and HMAs require you to stay on "designated roads". Be sure you read the specific rules for the area where you are hunting. However, just because a road is closed does not by itself mean that area is closed. In most cases, you can still walk in or use a horse.

In reading the other posts in this thread, keep in mind that some national forest areas, walk in areas and HMAs require you to stay on "designated roads". Be sure you read the specific rules for the area where you are hunting. However, just because a road is closed does not by itself mean that area is closed. In most cases, you can still walk in or use a horse.
Thanks Sir

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back