Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Erratic shooting at short distance

Johnson6471

Hello, this may be a difficult question. I shoot a bowtech destroyer with 350 grain arrows and 100 grain montecs. Yesterday I noticed that at 25 yards my shoots are a bit all over the place, but out to 40 and 50 yards its spot on good. Anyone have this happen?

How large is your visible target? At 25 yards you should be shooting at a quarter-sized circle, whereas 50 yards a 2" circle is more visible. A 2" target at 25 yards your mind will not automatically center on the middle of it, but aim anywhere within the 2", and accuracy will suffer.

It’s a mental thing. You don’t focus as much at short range because you subliminally think it’s easy. Also, pick the smallest spot to aim at. I often pick an old arrow hole as an aim point and try to shoot it into the same hole again.

It’s a mental thing. You don’t focus as much at short range because you subliminally think it’s easy. Also, pick the smallest spot to aim at. I often pick an old arrow hole as an aim point and try to shoot it into the same hole again.

I'd agree with this, as I had the same problem a few years back. I had to force myself to not treat the shorter shots as "chip shots". For me, from 0 to 30, I aim at a spot the size of an apple. I literally imagine that there's a beautiful woman holding that apple, and that if I don't shoot the apple, I'm gonna hit her. From 40-60, which is as far as I generally shoot, the apple becomes a small cantelope. Stupid as it sounds, this has really helped me focus on my shot execution and form and made me a lot better shooter. And I rarely hit the imaginary beautiful woman, even shooting in the wyoming wind.

A lot of folks like to aim smaller than that, and if it works for them, that makes sense. For me, that leads to punching the trigger and target panic, especially in the wind.

Last edited:
Could be that your shooting an arrow that isn’t stiff enough. What spine arrow, draw length, and pounds are you shooting?

I had the same problem.My spine on my arrow was too weak.At short range your arrow is flexing
from side to side,farther out there,s not as much flex.Saw this on a HUSH show with super slow motion
photography.It's probably on You Tube.Check it out. :cool:

I See it all the time, guys focus on long range and then in their mind close shots are simple. Well that simple sight picture isn’t so simple when you muff the shot. It’s easy to miss when you think” I can’t miss” and don’t pick a spot. I like to keep most-of my practice to ranges that I will typically take a shot in a hunting situation, nothing will keep you as honest as your arrow hitting behind your pin.

How would an arrow with too weak of spine be accurate at 50 but not 25?

If the spine is to weak, it would still be porpoising at the shorter distance, but at longer distance the fletchings would have a chance to catch up to it, and stabilize the arrow.

Have you changed anything lately? If it's the same bow, same arrows that you've been using for a while, then it's probably mental.

I'd check to make sure your arrow spine is correct and also do a quick paper tune, then you'll know if it's equipment or mental...

Sounds like your arrow is flexing too much and settles out as the yardage goes up. I agree with some of the other comments, paper tune your bow, and check to make sure you are using the correct spine arrow for the poundage and draw length. I went to a stiffer spited arrow, because the bow I purchased is a much faster bow than my previous one and was having similar issues. Good luck.

I think these guys are right. Have someone stand behind you and watch the arrow flight. My guess is you are getting the back end or the arrow coming around a little it off the string from too much flex.

I have an interesting finding. Yesterday I was shooting mostly at 40 yards and doing pretty good. Then I switched to 20 yards. I shot 4 at the black mark that was about 3' off the ground, and 4 at the black mark about 5'5 off the ground. As you can see, the group at the 3' high mark is horrible for 20 yards. Whereas the group at the 5'5 mark is better. I repeated this and got very similar results.

As it turned out, the angle I needed to tilt my bow up for the 5'5 target was the same as what I needed to tilt for the 40 yards target. Apparently I developed good form at the angle needed to hit the 40 yard target. However, my form started to fall apart for shots that required a more level bow angle.

I can see there is value in shooting targets at different heights.

That's my story.

IMG-4465.JPG

Theres a lot of things that could be happening. Even a horribly tuned bow will straighten out at a certain distance. If you are getting consistancy at 40 yards then it is probably something minor. If your rest is slightly out of tune, then your arrow could still be wobbling at 20 yards. Same with arrow spine. If the spine is too soft then you could still be having a lot of flex at 20 yards. look for how the arrow hits the target. If the arrows are hitting a slightly different angles then my guess would be spine since the spine flex would be different with each shot. If they are hitting at a consistent angle that isn't straight then it is probably the rest since the rest would be constantly pushing the arrow one way.

Back