ELK??

WYWINCHESTER

Got a camp on the mountain. Had 2 of the grandkids up this weekend looking for elk. Any elk. Found moose, few and far between elk tracks, but no animals. That 2 foot of snow really put a hurting on us. Seems there are lots of animals down on private. Even a some on the state land. Tough year for the youth.

Saw 6 moose this weekend and one elk. It was dead and tagged.

I drew a migration tag that i have been looking forward to for awhile but with lack of any real snow and these high temps i think this tag may not be as special this year as most years. We start next week so there's still hope but forecast isnt great....this might get tough!

Got a camp on the mountain. Had 2 of the grandkids up this weekend looking for elk. Any elk. Found moose, few and far between elk tracks, but no animals. That 2 foot of snow really put a hurting on us. Seems there are lots of animals down on private. Even a some on the state land. Tough year for the youth.
I'm headed to Wyoming Saturday. Do you know if there is snow in the Big Horns ?

Ran into the same problem. Started high with a lot of snow and saw one set of fresh bull tracks and a ton of mule deer. I just started moving lower and looking where elk should be until I found them.

I'm headed to Wyoming Saturday. Do you know if there is snow in the Big Horns ?
Yes, no, lots, some, none. Depends where and how high. Also supposed to rain/snow again Tuesday, so again, yes/no/maybe. Rained where I live Saturday night, that was actually a few inches of snow at 7500 feet, but most melted by afternoon, but in shade/cooler spots it was still there. You'll see it on the mountains, so depends where and what elevation

Thank you. I'm going to be at the lower, southeast corner of the range.

Thank you. I'm going to be at the lower, southeast corner of the range.
Also don't forget to think outside the "box" everyone is looking away from roads thick cover. This is the "GO to" by the elk play book...but when everyone is doing the same thing, the elk are quick to figure it out. Check closer to roads and trails in hard to access places, just keep checking and make sure you are looking for places that fit the needs of elk. Small over looked places could be the ticket.

The 24 we had a couple of weeks ago is down to 4-8. It's snowing now so you should be able to find all you need.

Pretty crappy day along the bighorns today, wind and rain, temps around 40ish. May be snow up a bit, but clouds keep me from seeing the mountains! So depends, most likely this crap is snow somewhere!

Back