Caribou Gear Tarp

Elk with a radio collar

Buddy shot a bear once with an ear collar. We teased the heck out of him that he shot a tame bear. Turned out it was a trouble bear that had been relocated. Pretty cool.

I went to a Colorado DOW meeting last Spring where the area biologist gave a talk on the radio collared Elk in this area. They fly over the area in a Cessna to monitor their movements, etc.. They said they tracked the signal on one radio collar to a house, knocked on the door later, and asked for their collar back. Yes, you can shoot a collared Elk, but you have to turn the collar in. Why wouldn't you want to? It's not only the right thing to do, but their studies are for YOUR benefit.

A few years back we helped the WY G&F catch and collar about 24 head of elk in SW WY. Back then, I wanna say a new collar was around $2500 to purchase and a lot less than that to have them rebuilt once the collars are returned so remember it is either your tax, hunting or organization money being spent on them. One of the elk we caught was a spike bull, had to saw his antlers off for safety then fitted him with some new jewlery, that little bull was harvested 5 years later as a 6X7. He was harvested 190 miles away as the crow flies from where we collared him. So I would suggest if it's a cow and there are other options, do that. They could be losing valuable data by taking a collared animal early in it's life but then again the collars generally fall off after 3 years I believe. It was pretty interesting information we gained from the collars about elk migration

This is a tough one. On one hand it would be neat, on the other hand it would be neater to have the research info. Too bad there isn't an easy way to get the tag number and track it online like you can the space shuttle or something! That way, if you let it go you could "check in" on your animal from time to time.

Or maybe if the collar was identifiable as to what year it was installed/pu into use. So if you saw an elk with a Blue collar that meant is was put on that animal summer time 2010. Might help a person who is wanting to fill their freezer think about it and say "it's been on for 4 years, that should provide plenty of data".. Just a thought.

I don't understand the reason NOT to shoot one.hunter mortality is one of the reasons for the study also and not taking one isn't giving them a true number.They don't collar many here in Pa but I wouldn't hestitate to shoot one with a collar.Of course I would return it.We do have ALOT of tagged bears in my state though.Number of bears that come in with tags gives them an idea of the population;we have to check station all bears here

If I had the option of killing another animal, I would let the collar walk, but I would kill one in a minute if I was having a tough time finding critters. In 2011, while hunting moose in Newfoundland, we saw a collared cow moose. I had a bull permit anyway, but it was cool seeing her, as she was the first moose that we saw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back