Elk Unit 51 New Mexico

It is worth spending as much time up there as you can - it is a large unit, and lots of surprising places that can hold elk. I found that there are many old logging roads, making your trek a little easier. My elk was taken on the southern end of the unit, last year we pretty much figured that they would be at higher altitudes, and until my back whipped my butt were going to move the trailer up toward Hopewell Lake. Find where the wet is, and if there ain't much, go high (Trout Lakes, Canillon Lakes, Hopewell Lake).

It is worth spending as much time up there as you can - it is a large unit, and lots of surprising places that can hold elk. I found that there are many old logging roads, making your trek a little easier. My elk was taken on the southern end of the unit, last year we pretty much figured that they would be at higher altitudes, and until my back whipped my butt were going to move the trailer up toward Hopewell Lake. Find where the wet is, and if there ain't much, go high (Trout Lakes, Canillon Lakes, Hopewell Lake).
I saw that area on the map and I sure did like what I saw in that area I hope them fishing holes don’t distract me to much lol.

I got a mountain lion off a game cam SE of Hopewell. Lots of RV camping and the whole road hunter, SxS thing is going well around Hopewell. My cam was maybe 1.5m off 91B as the crow flies, but too difficult to drive there. Just as Dave said, there is game, enough to support a lion. I didn’t hunt that game because there was even more farther West.

I got a mountain lion off a game cam SE of Hopewell. Lots of RV camping and the whole road hunter, SxS thing is going well around Hopewell. My cam was maybe 1.5m off 91B as the crow flies, but too difficult to drive there. Just as Dave said, there is game, enough to support a lion. I didn’t hunt that game because there was even more farther West.
Most of the ground I have seen there allows you to get deeper in than ATVs will go. It's just work. Not sure in my case this year what I will do - I have the hunt happening Thanksgiving weekend, which will hopefully mean snow. I need to find a buddy to talk into going, so I've got someone to wave at the helicopter when they come to retrieve my body...

Mountain lion hmm. There is always something
Kitty was all pissed about the red light that indicated recording. Video opened up with a “Yeeeaaaaowww!” It was something, clicking through 45 days of deer, squirrel, elk, elk, cows, deer, horses, wtf?!

We have hunted (cows) in 51 the past two years, and this year I drew the late November hunt. A lot will have to do with water - when we hunted in '20, there had been a 2' snow in late October, so all was damp and quiet and the elk easy to find. Last year, it was DRY, and I didn't see fresh sign in the two days I hunted (I had to stop after two days because my back flared up on me, dangit).

Last year, there were ORVs everywhere. Curiously, mostly road hunting. I am convinced that if you are willing to get off the roads and put some miles on your boots, you should find critters. Again, lots of hunters, but most don't get in the woods and work for it.

No camping at El Rito any more, users of ORVs got it closed. But the river is still fishable, as is the Vallecitos.

My plan is to scout as much as I can in between scouting down south for deer, going to put lots of miles on my rigs. It's water, water is the key, in my small experience.

David
White Rock, NM
Agree 100%. I was there in Sept last year and the SxS and other ORV’s that came in on the weekend were nuts. Lots of elk and lots of fun. It is easy to get away from that tho, if you are willing to do some walking.

Most of the ground I have seen there allows you to get deeper in than ATVs will go. It's just work. Not sure in my case this year what I will do - I have the hunt happening Thanksgiving weekend, which will hopefully mean snow. I need to find a buddy to talk into going, so I've got someone to wave at the helicopter when they come to retrieve my body...
Hey man I’ll be around did you draw the same tag I can always help you
Agree 100%. I was there in Sept last year and the SxS and other ORV’s that came in on the weekend were nuts. Lots of elk and lots of fun. It is easy to get away from that tho, if you are willing to do some walking.
I always get out and walk it just works better for me

Jemez, Las Vegas and Ruidoso fires so far this year. 51 had three large fires three years back and one last year, all at lower elevations to the South. Canon Plaza to the East in 2017. I’d plan to scope out A, B, C then reevaluate come October if there’s still dry fuel and lousy precipitation. Definitely plan on snow late November. Snow everywhere though elk will be where food is and food isn’t in a this-year burn.

Jemez, Las Vegas and Ruidoso fires so far this year. 51 had three large fires three years back and one last year, all at lower elevations to the South. Canon Plaza to the East in 2017. I’d plan to scope out A, B, C then reevaluate come October if there’s still dry fuel and lousy precipitation. Definitely plan on snow late November. Snow everywhere though elk will be where food is and food isn’t in a this-year burn.
Yeah that’s a for sure fact. I’ll make sure and check that out

D
I am new to NM Elk hunting. (From Texas and hunt whitetail). We'll be going in October for bull hunt and looking for recommendations for outfitter in unti 51. Also, want to clarify, we own property in unit 51a, but can we hunt elk in the entire unit? 51a and 51b?

D

I am new to NM Elk hunting. (From Texas and hunt whitetail). We'll be going in October for bull hunt and looking for recommendations for outfitter in unti 51. Also, want to clarify, we own property in unit 51a, but can we hunt elk in the entire unit? 51a and 51b?
If you free the tag it will be both a and b

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back