Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Elk Swiss Steak

buckykm1

I fixed some Elk Swiss Steak with Mashed potatoes, gravy and Corn for Dinner today.
I do believe that I was in Hog Heaven, it sure was good. it was so tender that it could be cut with just a fork. it is one of my favorite ways to fix Elk Steaks.

Kevin

If you don't mind sharing the recipe I'd like to give that a shot; happen to have some round steak thawing.

We always used the McCormick Bag and Seasoning kit to make it. It turns out really good. I usually would throw it in the crock pot with some carrots and even potatoes. They apparently quit making the "bag kit" but here is the recipe. You can basically use any type of meat seasoning as a replacement so just do that and follow the remainder of the recipe.

http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--6940/bag-n-season-swiss-steak.asp

We make elk Swiss steak in the dutch oven when camping. You literally can't get the steak out in one piece.

We always used the McCormick Bag and Seasoning kit to make it. It turns out really good. I usually would throw it in the crock pot with some carrots and even potatoes. They apparently quit making the "bag kit" but here is the recipe. You can basically use any type of meat seasoning as a replacement so just do that and follow the remainder of the recipe.

http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--6940/bag-n-season-swiss-steak.asp

How long do you cook them in the crock pot? What othe seasonings do you recommend?

Thanks for the recipe, I am always looking for nee ways to cook elk steaks!

when I prep Swiss Steak, I usually do enough for 6 to 8 meals just because it is a little messy and it saves time the next time I want to make, I just vacuum seal how much we need for a meal and refreeze it.

I have a cuber attachment for my grinder. so I cut the round steaks into about 3" squares and run them thru the cuber.
If you don't have a cuber, you can just use a chiefs knife or a tenderizing hammer. just by hitting it one 1 side the turning over and doing the other side.

with the meat cubed, I put 4 to 6 piece in a bag of seasoned flour and shake it up.
then put in a frying pan with some Veg. oil and brown both sides.
place in a 9" x 13" pan add some diced onion & green peppers. 1 can beef gravy about 10 oz. and about that much water.
cover with Alum foil, bake for about 3 hours at 325.
about the same cooking time in a crockpot.

Seasoned flour varies on how much your going to make.
but about 1 cup flour then just add some salt, pepper, garlic powder and lowery salt.
I just do it without measuring, but I would guess about a tea spoon of each..

Kevin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back