Elk strategy

diamond hitch

Over time when you hunt a location enough, you get to know where they like hang up when they are in the country. There can be correlations to migration patterns, weather, time of the season or some I haven't figured out yet. With those bedding / hanging areas, there are also tried and true escape routes. If you jump them 5 or 6 times and you pay attention, you may find there is a path or two that they nearly always take to evade you. It is worth your time to follow those tracks to see where they go. Once the a pattern emerges then your hunting strategy needs to be put in place.

I have a few of those places I have learned over the years. One of those is a ridge made up of a series of benches separated by steep dropoffs. For some reason the elk seem to like the middle bench. Just as you break over the rim on that bench the elk will stand up in a thicket on the left side. Almost always the herd will split and 2/3 s will drop over the edge, pick up a trail and work their way up to the head of the drainage. A smaller bunch will split off go down a small side ridge, cross the creek and work their way up the parrallel ridge.

The strategy? Hunt in a pair or a trio and each take a ridge and work together at about the same pace. The goal is the head of the drainage where you will meet up. The payday is knowing where they cross the creek in the escape and be waiting. Hence one partner is the push and one is the catch. They last time we did it, I was a little bit ahead and waited at the catch. The elk chose a slightly differant path and broke out of the thicket at about 6 ft from where I was sitting. Sometimes picking the shot at that distance can be challenging. A good hunting partner is a real asset and in many ways more difficult than finding a wife.

Back