Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Elk questions Montana

RyeGuy74

So I'm new to the public land Montana elk hunting world, but I just had a few dumb questions lol. So for where to hunt, in Montana do you get assigned a zone or do you apply for a specific zone? In my home state, for whatever big game you're hunting you just say which zone you're hunting in and that's the zone you get a tag for. Also, do most people camp out or do they make the commute from a hotel? And finally, does applying as a "party" change anything drastically? Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated as well!

Last edited:
Get a tag and hunt most everywhere given the detail of the regs. Camps are common in areas but most locals drive from the house if within 10-15 miles. Some of the camps relate more to a continuous poker game while others actually hunt. Party applications relate to your social desires. I don't know of any benefits other than more in camp to pack.

I would guess your success should match your luck and your curiosity. Lots of luck.

The questions you are asking are all available online and you are going to have to answer them for yourself before you leave your driveway. It would be a bit foolish to just go hunt without an understanding of the Montana regs and a copy in your pocket. However;
Let’s assume you have established residency. You can purchase a license and tag over the counter for General hunt zones for elk. Other units are limited entry only and are applied for in the early Spring. Party applications are either all are drawn or none are drawn for those limited entry units. The link above will answer all those questions and a lot more.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back