Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk Ivory Cleaning

Luke_with_a_lab

Hey there,
I have some elk ivories from the past season. I was told putting them in a cup of water with a few drops of dawn soap would be great for loosening all the crud on them and then allow you to easily scrape it off. I did this, however then got busy and forgot about them. The water evaporated out and now the ivories are died blue from the dawn soap! Ive tried scrubbing them with a rag and also just soaking them in straight water, nothing has worked. Does anyone have an idea how to get blue/ green color off of them? Thanks and I dont think I'll be trying the soap method again.

Dont leave them in peroxide for any longer or it will turn the tooth to ashes.

I always put mine in ziplock bag with water and dawn soap little to no air never had t water evaporate I leave the bag sit behind dish rack on sink and every once in a while shake it around. Some have sat for a year and never had a problem and come out clean

Put them in Coffee grounds and water for several days. The coffee actually darkens the color and the moisture will loosen the crud you want to scrape off.

Put them in a white sock, tie a knot in it and run it through the washing machine. I don't know if it will work, but it wont hurt them any. If that fails I would soak them overnight in Dawn again and see if it will dissolve it's own stain.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try. Im pretty bummed I forgot about them and Im hoping they are not ruined. Not sure what to do with green/blue elk ivories haha.

Definitely would not use peroxide. It will almost certainly bleach the teeth snow white and then you'll lose that agate appearance. Try the washing machine and sock tip. That would be my best bet. Wash in basic Tide and stay away from any detergent with chlorine bleach in it! That will rot the teeth.

I think you could whiten them and then use coffee. I just leave mine in till they fall out or are really loose during boil, if i want them darker i just soak them in coffee, takes awhile but look good.

I think you could whiten them and then use coffee. I just leave mine in till they fall out or are really loose during boil, if i want them darker i just soak them in coffee, takes awhile but look good.
What would you use to whiten them with?

I would start with a peroxide water mix and leave for a day in a clear glass in sun, if that didnt work i would go straight 40% peroxide and repeat. That should work i hate bleech and as last resort would add little to soak, then coffee till dark enough

What would you use to whiten them with?
40 vol peroxide and Clairol whitening powder mixed into a paste. Buy it at beauty shop. Coat them with paste and drop in a ziplock bag overnight. Then rinse well. Don't let the stuff splash on your shirt or it will bleach it.

Really, you should try washing machine and sock first. I think that may do it. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back