Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

ELK in New Mexico

FLIPPER

Does anyone know anything about unit 9 in NM?

It is a muzzle loader tag in October, non-guided.

If I can scrape up the $$$ :D

What dates in October? If it's still hot and dry, find the water sources and set up an ambush on their route. That worked for me in early November, but it was dry and warm last year in Unit 16-E.

The dates are;

Oct.5-9

Oct.12-16

Oct.19-23

These are the dates available, it is a land owner Bull tag, but with no private land permission, it is state land and blm land only. In the Mt.Taylor Mtns and Cibola Nat'l Forest. I do not know what or where about the BLM land.

It would be great to find some private land.

Also is one of the burnt areas, from this years fires???

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-31-2002 18:02: Message edited by: FLIPPER ]</font>

I'd go early. Last year, they were still bugling well into October, which made it a whole lot easier to locate them, of course. If we'd gone then, instead of November, maybe the other guys would have gotten one, too! ;)

What about unit 52???

I just found out a friend of a landowner has 2 Bull elk rifle tags for sale.

It sounds better than the unit 9 tag, since it is only 1 tag, in unit 52 I could go with a buddy.

Talked to Gila.....he's confused :D

Also this guy that has the landowner tags for unit 52 also has a bow tag for the September hunt.It is pretty cheap 300 bucks, but I don't want to go on my first elk hunt alone.

Hey Flipper, What's this guys name? Two of the guys from work bought a couple of smokepole tags like that a couple of years ago. They spent a week clomping around the bottom of a hill, basically running the elk up to the top of the hill and to the guys who bought the $2000 land owner tags. They were essentially used by the guy who sold them the tags. All the guys on top got elk. My friends only saw one cow elk the whole week. I'll find out the guys name.

OK, I just checked. The names of the guys who sold them the tags were Anderson and Herrerra.

:cool:

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-01-2002 15:19: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

I would go with unit 52 if that is indeed up in the Chama area, however check if the unit 52 tags are "unit wide" or "ranch only" if they are "ranch only" check the size of the ranch, if it is under 2500 acres or so I would steer clear of those as well. The best elk hunting in the northern units are latter in the year when the snow pushes elk out of colorado. unit 9 has a lot of checkerboard land and you can get in trouble if you get into the wrong area, and as far as what danr said..............he is dead on.

scott

What about unit 52???

I just found out a friend of a landowner has 2 Bull elk rifle tags for sale.

It sounds better than the unit 9 tag, since it is only 1 tag, in unit 52 I could go with a buddy.
52 is a very nice unit, a lot of big country there. We hunted on our first trip after moving here, were basically clueless, and kinda had to stick with a buddy that was "learnin' us the ropes", who was mostly and completely clueless. There's water in 52, dry open country and deep woods.

51 is where we got our elk in November. We had horrible luck finding sign while scouting, but found the honey hole (at least for that day) once we were up there hunting (the big snow 10 days before the hunt helped).

Both units are good hunting grounds, though I have heard folks say 52 is not the unit for HUGE bulls.

When this thread was alive.... i was 12 yrs old, catching 8 lb. walleye with my dad! Elk weren't cool yet.

or i wasn't cool yet....

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back